cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW & JPEG shooting --- how to access?

Luna21
Apprentice

Hi all --- I want to shoot in RAW & JPEG tomorrow for an event. I'm sort of a newbie at this, helping a friend out last minute. 

I don't have the original software that came with my Rebel T3 (which I read I would need to access the RAW files). 

So I have 2 questions: 

1) If I shoot in RAW & JPEG mode, I will be able to access the JPEGs right away correct?

2) is there anywhere that I can download free software to be able to access the RAW files afterwards? Or is the software available for purchase as replacement if you lost yours?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ScottyP
Authority

Digital Photo Professional is the free software that Canon provides. You can download it from this site somewhere. 

RAW + JPG mode does let you see the jpg's immediately using software you already have on your computer. 

That combo is a good idea since you don't yet know how to process the RAW files and they look very drab until you punch them up with some sharpening, contrast, color, etc. I am not at all familiar with the DPP software.  

Shooting 2 images of each shot burns through memory space fast. Take an extra memory card. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority

Digital Photo Professional is the free software that Canon provides. You can download it from this site somewhere. 

RAW + JPG mode does let you see the jpg's immediately using software you already have on your computer. 

That combo is a good idea since you don't yet know how to process the RAW files and they look very drab until you punch them up with some sharpening, contrast, color, etc. I am not at all familiar with the DPP software.  

Shooting 2 images of each shot burns through memory space fast. Take an extra memory card. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-5ds-r?tab=drivers
Scott

And here is your camera's quick reference guide.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300004732/01/eosrt3-eos1100d-qg-en.pdf

To set the file capture mode to RAW + jpg press the Q button for the quick menu.  Toggle down to the bottom right and press the set button to get into that setting. Select RAW and the L with a smooth rounded quarter circle for the large pest finest detail jpg files. 

This is is a good mode for learning RAW and processing. You have the JPG files for the ones that come out right. You have the RAW files for the ones that need significant work on the exposure or white balance. 

Eventually you may tire tire of having so many files and you may want to go to shooting just RAW. 

Scott

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I want to shoot in RAW & JPEG tomorrow for an event."

I don't understand why people want to do this?  Smiley Frustrated  But if you must, keep in mind, the SD card will fill faster and you may run out of room on it if you shoot a fair amount of shots.

Even using the free provided software form Canon, DPP4, all the conversion is done as you u/l to your computer.  You do no extra steps or actually take any notice.  DPP applies the same specs as it would have to the extra jpg you saved seperately.

There are few to no advantages of shooting or saving in jpg.  At one time maybe but not anymore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I agree RAW is better and it is all I shoot, but the OP has never processed photos before and is just starting to use DPP.  Having the JPG's is a good idea on the first try, especially is their friend wants copies 

Scott

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I don't understand why people want to do this?  

I honestly wasn't sure what to do! I've always just taken photos for fun in JPEG but then when a (VERY relaxed) friend asked me take photos at her (VERY low budget) wedding, I figured I'd do some research online and found that people recommended to set the camera to RAW & JPEG so that you can have the JPEGs right away but then the RAW images for post editing. I planned to pass those along to a bridesmaid of hers who is much more experienced and uses Lightroom, but couldn't be the photographer since she's in the party. 

I just finished the wedding earlier tonight! Took photos in RAW & JPEG, I had a backup memory card so once I filled the first I just swapped it out. Now just to figure out that next step of accessing the RAW files to send them to the other girl...

Thanks for everyone's help. I know your'e all much more experienced and my questions are probably so immensely basic for you. This really isn't my field at all, I'm just trying to help out a friend who is on a very very tight budget 🙂 

@Luna21 wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I don't understand why people want to do this?  

I honestly wasn't sure what to do! I've always just taken photos for fun in JPEG but then when a (VERY relaxed) friend asked me take photos at her (VERY low budget) wedding, I figured I'd do some research online and found that people recommended to set the camera to RAW & JPEG so that you can have the JPEGs right away but then the RAW images for post editing. I planned to pass those along to a bridesmaid of hers who is much more experienced and uses Lightroom, but couldn't be the photographer since she's in the party. 

I just finished the wedding earlier tonight! Took photos in RAW & JPEG, I had a backup memory card so once I filled the first I just swapped it out. Now just to figure out that next step of accessing the RAW files to send them to the other girl...

Thanks for everyone's help. I know your'e all much more experienced and my questions are probably so immensely basic for you. This really isn't my field at all, I'm just trying to help out a friend who is on a very very tight budget 🙂 

Put the card in your card reader and look at the image files. The names of the RAW files will end in ".CR2"; the names of teh JPEG files will end in ".JPG". So you send the .CR2 files to the photographer bridesmaid to be edited. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements