cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 Reset after Firmware Update

JanetinNJ
Apprentice

Many R7 users on various Facebook pages are insistent that you must reset your R7 to factory settings after you update the firmware.

I asked at my local camera store where I purchased the camera.  It is a very reputable store and they are very knowledgeable.   They told me it is not necessary.

I got a rather nasty comment when I said it wasn't necessary.  

Should I be resetting after firmware update?  I have not had any problems.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite

Typically when applying a firmware update, settings are returned to factory settings anyhow (note that this may not be every single setting, but at least the majority).

This is why it's mentioned to first save off any settings before applying firmware updates on the gear that supports such saving of that data.

Ultimately, I think you'll be a-ok in skipping the reset of settings after applying a firmware update.   Should you though experience any issues, resetting the camera is perhaps the most common task to perform.   So perhaps those being extra loud in those forums had experienced issues after updating.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Its not necessary.  The nasty comments come from weekend warriors.  Take it with a grain of salt.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you.  I did take it with a grain of salt.  None of these people bothered asking Canon.  

rs-eos
Elite

Typically when applying a firmware update, settings are returned to factory settings anyhow (note that this may not be every single setting, but at least the majority).

This is why it's mentioned to first save off any settings before applying firmware updates on the gear that supports such saving of that data.

Ultimately, I think you'll be a-ok in skipping the reset of settings after applying a firmware update.   Should you though experience any issues, resetting the camera is perhaps the most common task to perform.   So perhaps those being extra loud in those forums had experienced issues after updating.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I DO understand that a reset may be necessary after firmware update.  I just wondered if it was needed if no problems were present.

Thank you for your response.

It is better to be safe than sorry. The reset helped my camera 1000%

Is this true for the R6 & R6M2? I haven’t noticed my settings going back to factory after an update and I haven’t missed a single update on either camera. My cameras have behaved irratically after updates though or there seemed to no changes until I reset my camera.

Sannystac07
Contributor

It was necessary for me. My camera was missing focus and freezing and acting up until i reset it after the firmware update. I use an r6m2.

Announcements