cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7, 90D or??

Chuck51
Apprentice

Hello everyone, the last camera I owned is a Canon EOS 35mm film camera with various EF lens and have not taken photos in a dozen years. I am currently really wanting to get back into photography  and am looking for somewhat of an “ all around” type. Sometimes indoor portraits of my son, or various places we bust but mostly outdoors for wildlife and landscapes. I understand that no camera is perfect for all of these situations and am asking for advice on which would be best suited for an all around. When I started my research I was turned into the 90D by a few videos I had seen, then someone suggested to me that if I am spending that much $ might as well go to the R7.  Mirror less is completely new for me however will make the transition if it is a better choice. Or is there another model that I am completely missing in the price ranges of the R7/90D. Lens compatibility with my old EF lens isn’t really a deciding factor and I will purchase a dedicated lens for upclose indoors as well as a zoom for the wildlife and have no loyalty between DSLR or Mirrorless. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, they are greatly appreciated. Oh if I may add, I know these are a big step up and is going to be my first experience other than a cheap point and shoot with digital and there will be a huge learning curve.  I would rather start off with something that may take months to learn, however I will not outgrow in a years time and be wanting to upgrade, I prefer jumping into the best that I can afford and grow into it ( purchasing various lenses over time) instead of outgrowing something too fast, if that makes sense.  Thanks again

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you are starting "cold" I would recommend going with the R7.

Canon EOS R7 vs EOS 90D | Digital Camera World

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Definitely agree with John:

The Camera:
Canon is moving away from the DSLR platform: thus, in a way, as you say you are not vested in your old camera, you are at an advantage compared to to those who have a serious investment in legacy gear. 
The R7 has a lot of features that you will not find in a DSLR: human, animal and car (driver) tracking: so great for tracking the kids or a pet; it has in-body stabilization (IBIS) and adds that to any stabilization in the lens (Optical Image Stabilization) so you can shoot with slow shutter speeds, which is useful in low-light situations.   It's sensor is at least, but arguably better than that of the 90D, Canon's last DSLR in this range.  The camera has a different mount from the old DSLR system, so look for RF or RF-S lenses.

As to lenses.
You can get a kit lens of two kinds: RF-S 18-45 (which is more of vloggers choice) or the RF-S 18-150, which is a much more all-round unit, and that likely suits your needs more.   For longer work, I would recommend the excellent RF 100-400 lens.  If you wanted a single lens solution only, then I would recommend the excellent RF 24-240.

All of these lenses will offer decent results, without going to the much more expensive L series lenses: intended for serious (and well-heeled) enthusiasts and pro's.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements