cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6mII unresponsive during shooting session but later normal after turned off

enriquehoja
Contributor

On several occasions, my camera has become unresponsive: it is on, and the EVF is on, but it responds to one of the  the buttons and menu. Pressing the shutter results in a click but no picture registering, and pressing the memory card button shows no picture. However, last night when I got home, the camera worked normally and I could see 3-4 normal images that were taken.

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What are your shooting conditions?  What lens(es) are you using?  Exposure settings?  AF mode and selected AF points?

Tell me what to do so that someone can try to recreate your issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your reply @Waddizzle

I just got a Canon EF-R adaptor and attached a Rokinon14mm F2.8 manual focus lens and set up my tripod and this occurred. I didn't do anything but select shutter release to connect this manual lens and electronic MF, which btw does not work at all with this lens (peaking works but no guide appears).

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Are you by chance using adapted EF glass. The mount adapter can cause the camera to lockup. This was a problem for awhile with the original R6 and R5 cameras.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks for your reply @deebatman316. 

Actually this was like the second time that I used the Canon EF-R adaptor with a Rokinon lens and the first time things seemed ok but this is weird. I just updated the firmware. Was this a problem with the adaptor you had and how was it resolved?

Test with a 1st party Canon EF lens. 3rd Party EF lenses MAY NOT BE COMPATIBLE. They will often cause problems.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I currently have no other EF glass and there are quite a bit of third-party lenses compatible with EF that afaik should work with the adaptor. If not, maybe I'll go with a third-party adaptor.

Some 3rd Party adapted EF Mount lenses work correctly on an RF Mount camera. But they don't always work correctly and they can cause problems. So you can't just say it'll work because it worked on an EF Mount camera. Compatibility issues do come up with 3rd party gear. Check with the 3rd party manufacturer if there is a firmware update for the lens or mount adapter in question. Also there are no 3rd party EF-RF Mount adapter anymore. Canon has taken legal action against companies making 3rd party RF Mount lenses and mount adapters. They were causing problems with cameras locking up. The camera or lens malfunctioning in different ways. Causing people to blame Canon for the problem. But the problem was the 3rd party equipment being used. I've come across the same problem when using older EF Mount lens on a new EF Mount body. 

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements