cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6MII Filename Problem

stcapp1426
Contributor

I have an R6MII, and I changed the filename on the camera to begin with R6M2. It's been this way since I bought the camera in November. I just updated the firmware, and now the camera is naming the files beginning with _6M2 (with a leading underscore) instead of R6M2. The camera menu settings still show it set to R6M2.

What on earth is going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I understand.  After the full reset and card format, are images being saved using the default file naming convention?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You cannot use an "_" underscore at the beginning of a file name:

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R6 Mark II : File Naming (start.canon)

• An underscore (“_”) cannot be used as the first character.

You need to do 2 things.

One, perform a full settings reset, both Main and Custom settings, and two, format (in camera) any memory cards you are using with the camera currently.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

stcapp1426
Contributor

I didn't put the underscore there, it just showed up after the firmware update. My camera settings still show R6M2. I also just formatted the card. I only have 1 card in there. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I understand.  After the full reset and card format, are images being saved using the default file naming convention?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes. And I changed it back to my user setting of R6M2 and it's correct now. I wonder what happened?

I guess I now have to go through all the settings and set them up the way I had them before...

Thank you!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Hard to say.  The camera shouldn't allow a naming convention starting with the underscore.  Somehow a combination of settings, possibly with the card not being formatted coupled with the firmware upgrade caused the error.  Another possibility might be related to moving the cards between different slots without formatting or after creating folders or deleting files.  Any one of these things or a combination caused the issue.

You should never be concerned about going back in and reconfiguring the camera.  This occasional exercise will build greater familiarity with your camera.  😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you. I've done that now and have set everything up the way I had it before. Interestingly, I format the card every time I remove photos from it; something a friend said was drilled into her, so I do it. I formatted it prior to doing the firmware update. Who knows? It's technology, and I truly appreciate you helping me solve this problem. I still have a lot to learn about this powerful camera!!!

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

More than likely, your color space got changed either by accident or during the f/w update.

If you use the Adobe RGB color space, the camera will auto rename your files to add the "_". See page 249 of your Advanced Users Guide. I believe sRGB is default, so the reset put you back in that color space, which doesn't have the leading underscore.

Newton

Wow thank you! I don't know what it did, but I just checked it after the reset and it's sRGB . So we'll see. Thank you again!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks Newton.  You just reminded.me of this.  We had a discussion about it a couple of weeks ago.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements