cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 stuck in manual focus mode issue

Wolfhunt
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a canon R6 that is stuck in manual focus mode when using the Canon RF 24-105 lens. I tried a different lens and Auto focus is back but when I put the 24-105 lens on I loose auto focus abilities. I have gone through the menus, manual, and every button I can find but nothing will allow this lens to go back to auto focus. Any help would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, that's the lens. It came with the R6 when I purchased it from an authorized dealer.

However, the problem has been solved. Turns out there is an issue that comes up periodically with the lenses that don't have the AF/MF switch on the lens. I did a firmware update and the problem is fixed. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

March411
Rising Star

I apologize but I have to ask, have you cycled the AF/M switch on the lens? 

24-105.jpg

R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

I did look but this lens does not have the AF/MF switch. It only has the Focus/Control (which I tried in both settings) and a Stabilizer On/Off. I know the lens has auto focus capabilities, I've been using it since I got the camera.

The other lens that does work has the AF/MF switch. 

Makes me think there is an in camera option that isn't working or I'm not seeing somehow

March411
Rising Star

I'm going to assume it's the RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM. This is the only lens that is having this issue? How long have you had it and did you purchase it new from a Canon authorized dealer?

R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

Yes, that's the lens. It came with the R6 when I purchased it from an authorized dealer.

However, the problem has been solved. Turns out there is an issue that comes up periodically with the lenses that don't have the AF/MF switch on the lens. I did a firmware update and the problem is fixed. 

Pete01982
Apprentice

This comment is for all the Canons in general that might help someone stuck in Manal Focus., I couldn't get out of MF (manual focus) with my 50mm as the lens.  I tried switching the AF/MF switch back and forth. As other suggested, I tried Reset All Settings in the Tool menu - to no avail.  Finally, I removed the lens and put it back on. Finally my 5D was correctly reporting my AF setting.  Previously, I did have a 100mm macro with AF/MF switched to Manual.  This was before switching to my 50 MM. So maybe the 100mm set in Manual Focus contributed to being stuck in MF.  Anyway...for what it's worth...

Announcements