cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 and R5 shutter releasing even subject not in focus.

Uly
Apprentice

I have this issue on both model. Setting set to Servo and H+ Focus priority set to Focus. I even cover the lens with my hand to check if it take a shot and it did. I don't know if this is normal with this model becuse on my DSLR's they are not.

5 REPLIES 5

Uly
Apprentice

Correction on camera models : R6 and R7. not R5

Hi Uly happy holidays and welcome to the forums. Is your camera set to AI Servo (Continuous AF). If so then the camera will fire the shutter regardless if the subject(s) are in focus or not.

-Demetrius

Happy Holidays

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM (Retired), EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D (Retired) & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Uly
Apprentice

Well this is frustrating, I shoot mostly sports and I dont more missed focus on a series of shots. Is this true to all R series. I tested my 1Dx and Sony A7III same settings they don't release shutter if subject is not in focus. Is there something canon can do about it?

I cannot speak about your Sony.

But I can assure you that default behavior for all Canon DSLRs is to not wait for a Focus Lock when using AI Servo.  In DSLRs, this behavior can be altered and managed with the “Image Priority” settings in the AF menus.

I am not certain how this is handled in the R5.  The AF4 menu contains a setting for Release Priority for One Shot AF mode.  There isn’t a similar setting for AI Servo AF mode.  I assume that there is not, which would imply the camera could and will fire the shutter without a focus lock.

I use the setting in DSLRs to adjust for lenses that cannot focus as quickly as the frame rate of the camera.  Of course, setting Release Priority to Focus Priority can and will slow down the top frame rate.  But I do not see any point in having a higher frame rate when the images are not in focus.

I would speculate that the MILC bodies try maintain a focus lock at all times in the tracking modes.  So, a Release Priority setting may not be needed.  This sounds good for RF lenses and many EF lenses.

If you feel that you are missing focus, then I recommend checking to see where your locked AF points are located.  The camera can display locked AF points during playback.  The Canon DPP4 app can also display locked AF points for you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The AF system in Canon’s M and R series bodies works a little differently from DSLRs when it comes to Servo AF.  Canon has not only dropped the “AI” in “AI Servo AF”, but it can run continuously regardless of whether or not your finger is pressing the shutter or another button that activates [AF-ON[.

7B0E353A-8A39-4317-9E76-6A0CA28E3FF0.png

The setting is probably great if you are using a tripod, and your subject is continuously in the frame of the lens.  But, probably not so great if you are shooting handheld, and move the camera off of the subject periodically.  The factory default setting is enabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements