cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Firmware 1.7.0 update results in banding - a second update resulted in INOPERABLE

demiloca
Apprentice

I just updated my firmware from 1.2.0 (if I recall) to 1.7.0 and in my initial test of filming the TV screen (a palm tree ocean scene on YouTube), I see banding. I know it is not the TV because 1) The banding is visible in other tests (not on the TV) as well. 2. I recently filmed this same TV scene for a short film - I bought a new TV to ensure it looked good on screen by my R6 and my iPhone (as my old TV threw off a blue backlight). My iPhone still films my TV fine but the R6 - just since updating - has banding - like a horizontal zebra of light / dark - subtle but there. I have a shoot next week so should I take this firmware back to a prior update? What was the original firmware in an R6 bought 8.13.21?

UPDATE:

1. A second update of 1.7.0 resulted in nothing working (nothing happens when I record video or try and take a photo. AF doesn't work despite all set (lens and camera) to AF. Screen says MF.

2. I downgraded from 1.7.0 to 1.4 and it did nothing to fix the problem (cannot record video or take photo, same as before.

So I've went from BANDING to UNUSABLE. It was perfect before I updated the firmware.

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Just to be clear, I think you have a light flicker issue.  I do not understand filming a TV or monitor screen.  Computer screens are a good source for light flicker.  It makes far more sense to me to use an external recorder connected to your HDMI output of your computer.  

You say the issue persists even when you are not recording a screen.  Could post and example of this issue?  Were you recording these tests indoors using artificial lighting?  

Do you still see the banding if you capture a test video outdoors in the sunlight?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No, it is not a light issue. The banding could be seen on the ceiling. I say COULD because now NOTHING WORKS when I press record or try and take a photo and despite all being on AF, it won't focus and says MF.  This occurred AFTER I updated the firmware a second time (in the hopes that it would fix the banding). The banding never existed before. I've had the camera since 8.13.21 and this was the first time I updated the firmware and instantly 1. banding, now 2. nothing working.

It's nighttime here so no sunlight to shoot but camera can't shoot anything anymore as mentioned above. 

I am sorry to hear this unfortunate news.  Your camera seems like it needs to be inspected [by] Canon Service.

I regret neglecting to warn you not to attempt to downgrade the firmware.  Most models do not allow it.  It is also crucial that you download the correct version for your country of origin.  Again, most models should not allow you to install a version that is incorrect for your country of origin.

@Waddizzle wrote:

I am sorry to hear this unfortunate news.  Your camera seems like it needs to be inspected [by] Canon Service.

I regret neglecting to warn you not to attempt to downgrade the firmware.  Most models do not allow it.  It is also crucial that you download the correct version for your country of origin.  Again, most models should not allow you to install a version that is incorrect for your country of origin.

Any samples? I am collecting SHA256 hashes for Canon firmware updates and haven't seen any difference when downloading from different countries. If there are, then I will need to update my page.

Canon R6 firmware downloaded from Canon USA page https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0400008126/01/eosr6-v170-win.zip

Downloaded from Canon Europe page https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0400008126/01/eosr6-v170-win.zip

From Canon Australia page https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0400008126/01/eosr6-v170-win.zip

Can you find a firmware for a camera already in my list that has a different SHA256 hash?

Skärmbild från 2022-12-25 10-27-49.png

@Peter wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Any samples? I am collecting SHA256 hashes for Canon firmware updates and haven't seen any difference when downloading from different countries. If there are, then I will need to update my page.

Canon R6 firmware downloaded from Canon USA page https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0400008126/01/eosr6-v170-win.zip

Downloaded from Canon Europe page https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0400008126/01/eosr6-v170-win.zip

From Canon Australia page https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0400008126/01/eosr6-v170-win.zip

Can you find a firmware for a camera already in my list that has a different SHA256 hash?

No, I cannot and I am not going to bother with looking, either.

There have been several posts by forum members having issues installing firmware updates downloaded from Canon USA.  When instructed to download the firmware from the Canon Global affiliate for their country of origin, the firmware update installed without any error messages.

You explain it.

That's why we have SHA256 checksums. Canon should provide checksums for its software.

Do you have any links to these posts? Perhaps we can ask the forum members about the two different downloads and ask for checksums?

Peter
Authority
Authority

1. Reset camera.

2. Go outside and video record in sunlight

1. I reset camera multiple times. 2. It's dark out. 3. Banding isn't the problem anymore as the camera is totally functionless - see updated original post. Thanks tho.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We're sorry you're having these issues  Banding (Flickering?) can appear when you film a TV screen or monitor.  It can be caused by the type of display or by the lighting you were filming under.  As far as your camera no longer functioning, obviously something has happened during one of your firmware upgrade or downgrades.  We'd be happy to try and help you, but without a functioning camera there is very little we can do over the internet.  If resetting the camera doesn't help, and you are certain the battery, card and lens are not faulty, I suggest you contact the retailer or Canon for exchange or repair assistance.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements