Did you mean: 

R5 won't update to 1.4 firmware

trogon123
Apprentice

I followed the instructions for the firmware update. I get to the section:

Firmware update program

Update Firmware?

1.3.1 -> 1.4.0

Except that the OK button is grayed out!! I can't get any further than this. 

I've tried four different times, always with the same result.

Help!

Jonathan

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Lotus7
Rising Star

@trogon123 wrote:

I followed the instructions for the firmware update. I get to the section:

Firmware update program

Update Firmware?

1.3.1 -> 1.4.0

Except that the OK button is grayed out!! I can't get any further than this. 

I've tried four different times, always with the same result.

Help!

Jonathan

The "OK" button will be "grayed out" until you use the right rotation (on the central control ring <Quick Control Dial>) to index right.  You should then be able to hit "SET" to start loading the firmware into the camera's operating memory.  This is Canon's way of being sure you REALLY want to load new software into your camera.

If you're loading the update from the root directory of a memory card installed in the camera (the safest way), it will take 2 or 3 minutes to install the firmware.  As instructed, be sure you have a fully charged battery in the R5.

The progress of the installation will be displayed as a percentage.  DO NOT touch any buttons or controls during that process.

View solution in original post

Thank you, Lotus7. I kept trying to use the Quick Control Dial (with the Set button) and the Multi-controller (joy stick) to move to the OK. It works for everything else! The Main Dial, like you said, is the right move. All is well. 

Thanks again.

Jonathan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

It was in the root directory, and it was on a freshly formatted Cfexpress card...which is what I shoot on 99% of the time because of the transfer speeds...I had to go rummaging around to find an old sd card to load the firmware onto.  Funny thing, the one I found was apparently the one I used for the previous firmware update, as it still had the EOSR5130.FIR file loaded...so I guess I need to keep that card handy.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements