Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 "Card1 cannot be accessed" issue with Lexar CFexpress Type B card

thewhiz
Apprentice

I'm suddenly getting the following error

Card1 cannot be accessed
Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera

on my relatively new R5 with a Lexar Professional 128 GB CFexpress Type B card. I've used this card in this camera without any problems for over a month now. When I try to format the card in camera, I get an error saying that the card cannot be formatted. However, I can still access the card just fine on my computer and have been able to transfer photos from it. I went ahead and deep formatted the card via Windows 11's external disk formatting option, but I'm still getting the card access error on the R5. 

Anyone else have this issue with this particular combo (the Lexar card and the R5) or just with CFexpress cards in general? I don't have another CFexpress card to test in the camera, but I'm wondering if this is an issue with the camera or the card since I can read the card and format it via computer without issue.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thewhiz
Apprentice

OP here with an update. After both testing a different CFexpress Type B card and resetting the camera, I've determined that it's the Lexar card that is the problem. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with it, but even after a camera reset it was still unusable in camera. A new 128GB Prograde CFexpress Type B worked just fine in the camera both before and after the camera reset, however, so the camera isn't the problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello, thewhiz

I'm sorry to hear that your EOS R5 is unable to detect and use the Lexar card that you've been using for a while on this camera. You have performed some of the troubleshooting steps that we would have suggested like trying to format the card from within the camera as well as ensuring that the card is able to function with a computer.

You may test a different CFexpress card with the camera to see if the same issue persists or you can proceed with resetting the camera settings to restore them back to factory default and see if this clears up the issue. You may click on the following link which will provide the steps to clear the camera settings:

https://cam.start.canon/en/C003/manual/html/UG-07_Set-up_0290.html

If the issue persists, then we would suggest to send the EOS R5 camera to our repair facility for an evaluation. You may begin the service and repair process by logging in to your My Canon account:

https://myprofile.americas.canon.com/us/signin

thewhiz
Apprentice

OP here with an update. After both testing a different CFexpress Type B card and resetting the camera, I've determined that it's the Lexar card that is the problem. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with it, but even after a camera reset it was still unusable in camera. A new 128GB Prograde CFexpress Type B worked just fine in the camera both before and after the camera reset, however, so the camera isn't the problem.

Jaketen
Apprentice

Hi I have had same issue since updating to 1.5.1 card worked fine before as I tested it minutes before updating. It seems the update has bricked me memory card and I’m rather annoyed. Anyone else have this issue?

scottiedds
Apprentice

I have the same problem with a Sony Tough CFexpress type B card. The card works on my computer. When I place it in my Nikon D850 camera it works fine like normal. I formatted on my Nikon camera and it it formats. Format on computer it formats and use normally. I see there problems with Lexar and one card by Jaketen (he did not give model and brand of his card). I'm just replying to add a Sony Tough Card to the problem. With 3 cards having this problem and me verifying that it works on my Nikon D850 and computer, I have to think that this is a Canon R5 problem. I'm currently on firmware 1.6.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon's list of compatible cards here:

Canon Knowledge Base - Compatible Cards (EOS R5)

Both Lexar and Sony are listed as compatible. The KB above was published in 2020. I was going to suggest looking for updated card FW, but I didn't see any for Lexar. I am not a Sony user.

I'm using Angelbird and Prograde cards in my body. They are rated similarly to the Lexar Gold series. Up to1750MB / v90, etc. The Angelbird 512 is by far the most affordable CF Express type B card at the moment.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements