cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 oversensitive evf eye sensor

HBC
Contributor

Hi canon

Me and other users, that agreed with me on a thread on reddit and on other posts we can find online, are having problems with the camera behavior regarding to the eyepiece sensor, and, as my first milc I have been very annoyed the way the camera gets in my way. When using the camera by the belly with the strap around the neck, wich most of us do, the sensor detects things so far away from the evf that activates it with the cloth fabric, draining the already poor battery performance. I know there is a away to overcome this by assigning a button to switch between screen and vf with manual switch, but it costs one of the already few precious buttons and is very unconvenient having to press a button everytime I want to look through the evf and again when resting the camera, but if at least the evf was disabled right after switching the camera to zzz mode and activating only with a half press shutter button without having to wait 30sec that whould be nice. There is one ocasion when Id like to switch manually, wich I do very often, when I shoot on the beach or in the rain using a raincover, I tried a custom mode that way, assigning the video button (wich I usually have it to zzz mode) for the switch, but the camera changes this setting for every mode not only the custom mode I want, wich forces me to change everything on the menus everytime I want to use the raincover. I contacted canon forums with this question and they said to come here to the usa community. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Absolutely. I'm a little disapointed by manufacturers ceasing dslrs especially with so many people still prefering them over milcs or wanting both, i think there's a strong market for them and milcs are more of a diferent option than properly a substitute, its not a life changing remarkable evolution by any means, they have some pros and some cons.

To me the thing is that if a camera can take good images when it is new, it is still capable of taking those same images, even when a new model comes out.  I still shoot with 22-year-old cameras and they still take great photos.

The 5DIV is a great camera, but depending on your needs, the 5 DsR is an awesome camera - much underrated IMHO and can often be found at a reasonable price second hand or refurbished.  It has beautiful tones, and of course with 52MP to play with one can really drill down onto s a subject - the rest, inevitably, is down to the lens and the user! 😊

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

igogosh
Apprentice

It is annoying to say the least. I was able to narrow it down to the EVF sensor, it stays on when the camera falls asleep and wakes up the viewfinder and EVF when you bring something to it. If the EVF sensor goes to sleep we can avoid the unnecessary wake ups and battery drain. The camera could be set up to wake up on button press. Dear canon, please add this option in your FW update. 

Exactly. If the evf went to sleep right after the camera goes (i have assigned the video button to it), that would be an easy workaround I think. It would be nice if they could adress it via fw, and if it were available to the r too I would appreciate it since I bought one for my backup and everyday "throw it everything" camera 😁

Announcements