cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 or R6M2? I'm trying to gather advice from experienced photographers to make choice without regret

wdg0131
Apprentice

Hello!

I know this topic is quite boring and already has been discussed a lot. I also researched all the videos about those two cameras and various forum posts. Let me introduce myself to give you guys my background. I'm an absolute hobbyist photographer. My current set-up is EOS 80D with ef-s 18-135, Sigma 35mm 1.4, and EF 50mm 1.4. I'm also planning to get EF 24-70 F2.8ii once I get FF mirrorless camera. I like to take a photo of things around me such as people who are close to me, pets, stray animals, and general aviation airports (love sunsets with airplanes, and I also love to take photos of my instructor colleagues, and students). I'm sure I'm not into Wildlife photography(Very cool, but I don't think I can spend a whole day under severe weather conditions to take a beautiful photo). I like to do street and landscape photography but not as frequently as first reasons. I'm sure the things I mentioned later are not the priority purposes. 

1st discussion I got here is: Since R5M2 came out, R5 price has dropped a lot. If you have enough budget to buy a new R6M2, there's a chance to get a used R5 with the same budget.

2nd discussion: I'm trying to get a body that can last a long time. There are a few things that make me think. R5: Way more MP(Lack of low light performance due to smaller pixels), Lower AF performance(people say it's still very good, but R6M2 has definitely better AF performance), Lower ISO performance(But IQ is noticeably better even with noise), 30mins Recording limit and possibly overheat(I don't do videography so those limitations are not a deal breaker to me), 8k and 4k 120fps capability(but R6M2 has better 4k60 IQ, also not a big deal since videography isn't my main goal, but if I happen to take a video, it'll be 4k 60fps most of the time), 12fps mechanical shutter and 20fps electronic shutter(R6m2 can shoot 40fps electronically, I assume 20fps is fast enough but I know faster is better), CFE B type capability(R6m2 only has 2 SD slots, I thought having CFE was way better than two SDs since CFE has way faster read and write speed. I was surprised that many people don't like CFE because of the higher cost. No experience with CFE but even though you have to pay more, aren't 5 times faster cards tempting?)

I understand that R6M2 is half generation-advanced body than R5. Except for MP, almost all essential features are better. However, Do you think the better features make the camera last longer over higher pixels? Don't forget if R6M2 were way cheaper like in the past, I wouldn't hesitate. I'm overthinking because the price gap between the two is very close nowadays.

I'm open to all advice and opinions! 

P.S. I edit photos on Lightroom Classic 99% of time.

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you are going to buy a mirrorless.body, plan to budget for RF glass.  If you have existing full frame EF lenses you can use them with a Canon Adapter, but I would recommend RF for future purchases.  

If you buy an R62, you will not want to use any of your EF-S lenses.  The camera will use crop mode and your resulting images will be about 9.3 MP. If you go R5, you'll be at about 17.5 MP.  

You seem to have 3 body's on the table.  R5, R52 and R62.

All 3 cameras should be brilliant and capable.. There's no reason to think the R52 won't be exceptional. 

The information about the photography you do most is helpful.  Given you are considering all 3, and coming from the 80D, I'd try to make the R62 or R52 happen if I could. The advanced AF, ISO performance, subject tracking, etc on the latter 2 will blow you away compared to the 80D (also a nice camera).  

The standard R5 is no slouch either, and is a top performer.  You'll need to decide if 24MP is enough and if not do you have budget for the R52.  You indicated you wanted something to last.  The mk II's are where that's at.  😄

If budget does not allow, the R5 remains an incredible value.  It's price is very attractive.  However, I'd say again, include budget for RF lenses.  Regardless of the body you choose, your lenses are the real investment.   Hope you'll find some of this helpful.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Appreciate! R5M2 is out of range 😂. R5 price is not drawback anymore since Mark ii came out! Thank you for lense advice. I’m planning to get RF85 or 135 after EF 24-70, but it’ll take some time. They are not easily approachable price 😞 I’m planning to sell ef-s lenses with 80D once I get mirrorless as well. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Any body will last a long time. We have people here who still use XS', for heaven's sake. As to regrets, that is up to you. Something new and better *will* come along.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Perfect Idea.  A lot of people use their old camera and lenses to offset capital expense.

The RF135 is something else according to Jessica Joy. It's one of Canon's newer lenses that incorporates programmable buttons.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

I have EOS 80D and EOS R5. To me the EOS R5 seemed a compromise taking away a need to choose between full frame or crop because it can do both. I do not have any RF lenses. All of my EF and EF-S lenses work better on my EOS R5 than on my EOS 80D. It took me a while to adapt myself to the differences between the 80D and R5 in how they focus. In 1.6x crop mode on the EOS R5, there are 5088x3392 pixels compared to 6000x4000 on the EOS 80D. I still use my EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens on my EOS R5 with the adapter. It is a very good lens for focus stacking. In the future I might want RF lenses, but not yet.

https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2023Oct15_birds_and_cats/2023oct04_wildflower_IMG_6673-6676c.html

A wild orchid Spiranthes lacera var. gracilis commonly called Slender Ladies' Tresses blooming in Norman, Oklahoma, United States, on October 4, 2023 (focus stack of 4 images) ; EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USMA wild orchid Spiranthes lacera var. gracilis commonly called Slender Ladies' Tresses blooming in Norman, Oklahoma, United States, on October 4, 2023 (focus stack of 4 images) ; EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

F Number 11.0
ISO 100
Focal Length 29.0 mm
Camera Temperature 37 C
Focus Distance Upper 0.62 m
Focus Distance Lower 0.44 m
Lens Model EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Focus Stack Depth Composite of 4 Images

JCin
Contributor

I have two R6 MKII and I was going to replace one with an R5 because I mainly shoot portraiture. Now that the R5MKII is out, I'm saving up for it instead. Between the R6 MKII and the R5, it would depend what is important to you. They are both great cameras and the R5 will stand with a lot of newer cameras today. If higher mp is your thing, go with the R5. If shutter speed and auto focus are key, the R6 MKII. And yes, the glass in front of your camera is of high importance. For primes, I own the RF85 1.2 and the RF135 1.8. The RF85 is my main portrait lens. It is bulky and heavy besides costly, although magically. I like the RF135 in that it is easier to run around with and also has IS. Recently shot an event with the RF135 and it was a pleasure using this lens, and I like the programmable buttons on it as well.

Announcements