cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 feature request option to disable touch autofocus

sparkycpg
Contributor

I understand some people want to have touch autofocus on the LCD screen.  However, I am constantly ruining pictures by inadvertently touching the screen before taking a picture and moving the focus location.  I would like to see an option to turn this off so the focus location always stays in the center of the screen.  If you want to move the focus point there are several ways before taking the shot.  Again it would be a setting option so those that want it could keep it.

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Authority

If you want to disable touch autofocus, did you check out your Advanced User Guide for firmware 1.5.0 or later, on P417?   If you don't have that version you should download it.

cheers, TREVOR

Professional photographer, engineer and educator since 1980

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
"A good swordsman is more important than a good sword" Amit Kalantri
Technique will always Outlast Tech - Me

Thank you for the response but I do not think that is what I am looking for. Many people post this response when this questions is asked.  I am not the only one asking for this.  I don't what the focus point to jump to the position I touch on the LCD screen which I am doing by accident.  I have "touch and drag AF" disabled (which I think is the default) but it still does the same thing.  I want the focus point to ALWAYS stay in the center of the screen and NOT move then I touch the LCD screen.  If I want to move it I will do so manually.  If I am missing something please let me know.

Tronhard
Authority

I have all touch functions turned off - even menu ones.  I use single point autofocus and the point stays in the centre unless I am tracking something.  I turn off focus and exposure functions from the shutter button and use back-button focus and exposure locks.  Never had an issue...

cheers, TREVOR

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

How did you turn it off?  I am not seeing that option.  Unless you disabled touch control completely.

That's what I am saying I disabled touch completely. With touch settings, if focus is turned off - but not the touch menu, it seems the camera thinks you want to configure something, so I disable all touch functions to avoid confusing it.  I don't need touch control to set up my camera - I have most scenarios programmed into the C1-C3 settings and I have used the legacy menu system for decades.

cheers, TREVOR

@sparkycpg wrote:

"I understand some people want to have touch autofocus on the LCD screen.  However, I am constantly ruining pictures by inadvertently touching the screen before taking a picture and moving the focus location.  I would like to see an option to turn this off so the focus location always stays in the center of the screen.  If you want to move the focus point there are several ways before taking the shot.  Again it would be a setting option so those that want it could keep it."

Although the majority of my shots are taken using the EVF, I do use the rear LCD in some situations. It is a little annoying to accidently touch the screen and have the focus point shift. I usually remember to reset it, but not always. IMHO, turning off touch all together is not an option as I love that feature and regularly use it in my day to day. I'm old school, but think the touch screen is a very valuable asset.

I did submit a request on the Canon support site. Please report it as well. It may not get Canons attention, but it can't hurt. Click the URL below, scroll to the bottom and click "+Feedback".

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

Newton

Thank you.  I agree with you totally and will send a message as you suggested.

Announcements
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3 is available for EOS M50 Mark II
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
03/22/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for PowerShot PICK
03/16/2022: New firmware version 1.5.2 is available for EOS-R5
03/16/2022: New firmware version 1.5.2 is available for EOS-R6
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for EOS-R3
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.
01/05/2022: Welcome to CES 2022!
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 0.71x
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for CR-N 300
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for CR-N 500
12/2/2021: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for RF 70-200 F4 L IS USM