cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 feature request option to disable touch autofocus

sparkycpg
Enthusiast

I understand some people want to have touch autofocus on the LCD screen.  However, I am constantly ruining pictures by inadvertently touching the screen before taking a picture and moving the focus location.  I would like to see an option to turn this off so the focus location always stays in the center of the screen.  If you want to move the focus point there are several ways before taking the shot.  Again it would be a setting option so those that want it could keep it.

14 REPLIES 14

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you want to disable touch autofocus, did you check out your Advanced User Guide for firmware 1.5.0 or later, on P417?   If you don't have that version you should download it.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for the response but I do not think that is what I am looking for. Many people post this response when this questions is asked.  I am not the only one asking for this.  I don't what the focus point to jump to the position I touch on the LCD screen which I am doing by accident.  I have "touch and drag AF" disabled (which I think is the default) but it still does the same thing.  I want the focus point to ALWAYS stay in the center of the screen and NOT move then I touch the LCD screen.  If I want to move it I will do so manually.  If I am missing something please let me know.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have all touch functions turned off - even menu ones.  I use single point autofocus and the point stays in the centre unless I am tracking something.  I turn off focus and exposure functions from the shutter button and use back-button focus and exposure locks.  Never had an issue...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

How did you turn it off?  I am not seeing that option.  Unless you disabled touch control completely.

That's what I am saying I disabled touch completely. With touch settings, if focus is turned off - but not the touch menu, it seems the camera thinks you want to configure something, so I disable all touch functions to avoid confusing it.  I don't need touch control to set up my camera - I have most scenarios programmed into the C1-C3 settings and I have used the legacy menu system for decades.

cheers, TREVOR

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@sparkycpg wrote:

"I understand some people want to have touch autofocus on the LCD screen.  However, I am constantly ruining pictures by inadvertently touching the screen before taking a picture and moving the focus location.  I would like to see an option to turn this off so the focus location always stays in the center of the screen.  If you want to move the focus point there are several ways before taking the shot.  Again it would be a setting option so those that want it could keep it."

Although the majority of my shots are taken using the EVF, I do use the rear LCD in some situations. It is a little annoying to accidently touch the screen and have the focus point shift. I usually remember to reset it, but not always. IMHO, turning off touch all together is not an option as I love that feature and regularly use it in my day to day. I'm old school, but think the touch screen is a very valuable asset.

I did submit a request on the Canon support site. Please report it as well. It may not get Canons attention, but it can't hurt. Click the URL below, scroll to the bottom and click "+Feedback".

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thank you.  I agree with you totally and will send a message as you suggested.

lwalley219
Apprentice

I FOUND A WAY! If you are still having trouble.

if you go to menu > spanner > multi function lock and tick only the touch control then back out and on the top of the camera you can simply press “lock” to lock and unlock the touch control when in shooting mode…the focus box will always be centred and can’t be accidentally changed when it’s locked and you can still use the touch control for when navigating the menu.

hope this helps 🙂

MisterWizard
Contributor

There is such a setting in firmware 1.6.0, it's in the tools (yellow wrench icon) menu, page 4, touch control.  Disable it and the touch screen won't work any more.

Announcements