cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Stuck/Hot Pixels - Should I Worry?

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I have 5 throughout the frame and all are red and in the same spots. I have never had them on any of our DSLR's. I have a basic understanding of what causes them, but have never seen them before.

Mine don't seem to be from high ISO or long exposures as they appear in all of my shots, from ISO 100 to ISO 3000. Now, they are less noticeable at ISO above 4000. I'm assuming that the camera is adjusting them out with high ISO noise reduction, but that is just a guess. When converting to JPG, they almost disappear, but I understand why... It's just the nature of lossy compression.

Anyway, any need to be concerned?

Full frame converted to JPG in DPP 4. ISO 1000, SS 0.3, f/2.8, EF 24mm f/2.8 lens, R5, hand held. I posted this just as an example. But the red pixels are in all of my shots, they are just more obvious in this example.

Moon Ring-01a.JPG

50% zoom in DPP 4 (Screenshot).

Hot Pixels-1a.jpg

400% zoom in DPP 4 (Screenshot).

Hot Pixels 2.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
7 REPLIES 7

Peter
Authority
Authority
Almost all raw converters have a hot pixel removal feature. DPP4 is sadly not one of them.

There is a hot pixel removing method to try with manual sensor cleaning 1 minute and lens cap on. It may take a few times.

Thanks, Peter. I've read that on severaI forums, but I'm more concerned that it might get worse. I've also read that some people have contacted Canon and they had them send the camera in for repair. If I can map them myself, I'd rather not send it in. I don't have access to an authorized canon repair shop, so shipping would be needed.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@Peter wrote:

"There is a hot pixel removing method to try with manual sensor cleaning 1 minute and lens cap on. It may take a few times."

As mentioned, I had read about that but couldn't wrap my head around how "sensor cleaning" could resolve hot pixels.

Boy was I wrong! I did it by just initiating "Clean Now" 4 times. I took about 50 test shots with varying ISO settings (100-6400) and all five hotties are gone.

Maybe Canon has included pixel mapping in that routine, I just don't know, but for now, my red pixels are gone.

Thanks again!

Newton

You probably don't have "hot" pixels but "stuck" pixels. Hot pixels usually come from long exposures and the sensor gets too hot. Your camera may have a pixel mapping ability in its FW. Otherwise, Photoshop can take care of them by using the Dust & Scratch filter.  Canon will map out hot, stuck or dead pixels under warranty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@Peter wrote:

"There is a hot pixel removing method to try with manual sensor cleaning 1 minute and lens cap on. It may take a few times."

As mentioned, I had read about that but couldn't wrap my head around how "sensor cleaning" could resolve hot pixels.

Boy was I wrong! I did it by just initiating "Clean Now" 4 times. I took about 50 test shots with varying ISO settings (100-6400) and all five hotties are gone.

Maybe Canon has included pixel mapping in that routine, I just don't know, but for now, my red pixels are gone.

Thanks again!

Newton

You should see the hot pixels from my 6D https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z3a27m93taOLOHUrq12DEa1tADhtNowB/view?usp=drivesdk

One is raw and the other file is mRAW (not raw). The raw file is easy to remove the hot pixels from with almost 1 click. mRAW is already demosaiced meaning it is way harder to remove the hot pixels.

How many hot pixels are you seeing in the raw file?

@Peter wrote:

You should see the hot pixels from my 6D https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z3a27m93taOLOHUrq12DEa1tADhtNowB/view?usp=drivesdk

One is raw and the other file is mRAW (not raw). The raw file is easy to remove the hot pixels from with almost 1 click. mRAW is already demosaiced meaning it is way harder to remove the hot pixels.

How many hot pixels are you seeing in the raw file?

Wow! That's a lot.

I had 5, but only one was really bad and effecting a larger number of surrounding photosites.

Peter
Authority
Authority
Normally I don't see any hot pixels in daylight.

Yesterday I downloaded a raw file from R6 taken at 20 seconds and at ISO 2000. 24 hot pixels removed by my raw converter.
Announcements