cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5/R5 C port covers, how to remove/reinstall

kodiakcreativit
Contributor

The rubber port covers/dust covers on the side of the Canon R5 and R5 C, usually these can be removed just by pulling the little tether out of the hole and can be reinstalled by pushing it back in. Before I risk breaking the cover and being without it, is that the case with this camera as well? if I gently but firmly pull on the small tether in the corner can I remove the cover from the camera completely and still be able to reinstall it at a later time if needed?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

johanwagner
Apprentice

a little lubricant and a quite hard wiggle with a pair of narrow pliers.

670090A8-C1B9-4E87-8F46-AADD4D92FEA0.jpeg

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Ha ha - Thanks. I hate the flaps. Will modify mine to be easier to remove next time. I have the C70 as well and yes those flaps are really made for removing/reinstalling.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Looks like removing the cover would expose the innards of the camera to all kinds of contamination. Would this actually keep the camera cooler internally, in whatever places are overheating?

kodiakcreativit
Contributor

Amazing! Thanks for reporting back your success!

The opening for the tether would need to be covered I would think if this were to be removed permanently. But that can certainly be done. Some trimming of the head of that tether could also make installation and removal easier in the future. I'm tempted to cut the tether off of mine, the port cover would work just fine without this piece. Its only there to prevent it from getting lost when the ports are in use. One thing I had considered, A small black M2 button head screw could be added to this port cover through a newly created hole...and you could use that to attach it using the M2 threaded hole that is there for the strain relief. there by making the port cover easily installable and removable. This opens up possibilities!

thanks again for posting about your success for everyone!

Qnardacci
Apprentice

I have a EOS 7D..this rubber cover is different..Mine won't just go back in...any suggestions on where I can get help with this?

using black tape now

I have seen it suggested elsewhere that covers like this can be helped to install using something like a toothpick. add a small amount of lubricant to the tether and the barbs, I'd suggest dialectic grease as it will aid in the installation but is specifically designed to be non-conductive and electronics safe. use only a small amount. position the tether over the hole, use a toothpick to push the barbs into the hole. this should aid in reinstallation. Although I have not tried this myself.

on my R5 C I'm debating using a razor blade to cut off one of the barbs to make the tether easier to install and remove, or just removing the tether completely as the cover fits quite snugly over the ports as is. I don't think it would be likely to fall off or anything, but obviously you then need to keep track of the covers between uses. That would be no different than the protective cover over the hot shoe which protects the contacts for the extra audio channels on the R5 C anyway, that cover has no tether. once you remove it you just have to be careful to put it in a safe place.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Silicone lubricant and fine needle nose pliers might help.  Just a little and I mean little bit...  even wipe it off after you apply some.  Then finagle it in gently.  If the plugs are beveled, they are intended for "one way" in only.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Qnardacci
Apprentice

I'll try that. Ive tried and tried every way ...I would like to see which way they are installed..I think I may be putting it in the wrong way..It doesn't just snap in 

I thought for sure there would be some others that had this problem..

Announcements