cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Mark ii - Image Stabilization Greyed Out

pillarpaul
Contributor

I just got my new R5 Mark ii camera the other day and I have been frustrated that the menu item of "IS (Image Stabilizer) Mode" is greyed out. When I press the menu item to get more detail it tells me "Restricted by the following settings or conditions:

• Current attached lens
  • Pre-cont. shooting"

My lens is the RF 100-500mm lens that I had on my R6 and IS worked fine. I swapped it out for another lens the RF 24-105mm just to test and the same message appears. When I disable Pre-cont. shooting in the menu the error message for that goes away but the lens error message still remains. And since I am a  bird photographer I do NOT want to disable Pre-cont. shooting. 

I might add that indeed I seem to be lacking some IS in that many of my shots are a hair soft (mostly birds in flight that the R^ nailed perfectly) so the IS likely is not working on the new camera.

Anyone else run across this or am I doing something obviously wrong that I don't see?

Thank you.

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dcoz2
Apprentice

In the R5 Mark II user manual, here : - https://cam.start.canon/en/C017/manual/html/UG-03_Shooting-1_0330.html - it says the IS mode option is only displayed with using a non-IS lens.  As long as your lens has the stabilizer switch to 'On' you are using IS. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dcoz2
Apprentice

In the R5 Mark II user manual, here : - https://cam.start.canon/en/C017/manual/html/UG-03_Shooting-1_0330.html - it says the IS mode option is only displayed with using a non-IS lens.  As long as your lens has the stabilizer switch to 'On' you are using IS. 

Ah, thank you so much!

Paul

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

That menu option is there to enable / disable  IBIS on lenses that don't have IS.  If you turn off iS on the lens switch it disables it on the body too.  

Edit, The above post from Dcoz2 is correct.  I'm on my mobile and missed it before replying.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you, Rick. That confirmed the earlier response indeed.

Pal

Announcements