cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Image stabilization has long delay, randomly stops working (video)

IronLever
Contributor

Randomly, my R5 will not immediately activate IS unless I shake the camera a few times or toggle the lens IS switch. Below are two cases. One it starts by itself after a long while, the other I had to "wake it up" with a sharp snap.  Already sent it to Canon for warranty and they are saying it's within spec. This doesn't seem right.  It's making the IS feature nearly unusable for capturing video of wildlife as the subject moves away before IS turns on.  It's a real pain trying to flip the switch on and off to wake it up. Other times it randomly stops working after 30 seconds to a couple minutes of recording. 

Is there a fix I don't know about? Anyone else have this problem?

15 REPLIES 15

If an image has bokeh in frame and the camera can't stabilize, that is a useless camera. I posted another reply where I tried a manual focus only lens that stabilized correctly without lens IS built in.  There appears to be no connection to tracking & focus when it comes to stabilization working.

Seems like no one experiences this so I'm going to work on replacement or refunding. 

More info: I attached a manual only lens that doesn't interface with the electronics at all. IBIS appears to work fine without any autofocusing. Seems my camera is having problems coordinating IBIS with lenses that have a stabilizer. I just tried an EF lens with adaptor and it also has random delays before IS activates after putting the camera viewfinder up to my eye. 

IronLever
Contributor

Posting another video for future support reference:

Here is how I can reproduce the problem consistently. The lens always has the IS switched to On position (any setting), I take a break and point the camera away from my viewing area waiting for subjects. Once a subject appears, I quickly bring the camera on target, hit the focus button and record. Delay can vary from a few seconds where it auto activates, or it can be indefinite until I shake the camera hard or toggle the on/off switch for IS. 

Below is a video leaving record on early to show the motions I'm doing to get the delay. 

@IronLever wrote:

Posting another video for future support reference:

Here is how I can reproduce the problem consistently. The lens always has the IS switched to On position (any setting), I take a break and point the camera away from my viewing area waiting for subjects. Once a subject appears, I quickly bring the camera on target, hit the focus button and record. Delay can vary from a few seconds where it auto activates, or it can be indefinite until I shake the camera hard or toggle the on/off switch for IS. 

Below is a video leaving record on early to show the motions I'm doing to get the delay. 

I think the issue is related to your settings. I believe you have Continuous AF disabled. 

Again.  What happens when you attempt that same test with an unobstructed subject in Automatic, Green [A+]mode?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Same thing happens regardless of focus settings. I tried A+ in the earlier replies, still showing the jitter delay. AF does not have any bearing on stabilization in my testing. Neither does tracking. I can hook up a lens without any AF capabilities or connection to the electronic systems and IS will still know to stabilize regardless of anything being in focus. I can set focus to 1 foot and aim at a blurry room, IBIS will still stabilize. The camera even has a setting for manual lenses without built in IS where you tell it the focal length and IBIS will accommodate that lens. 

The issue is when IBIS + lens IS try to work together. IBIS alone on manual lenses doesn't get anywhere close to this bad in my test so far. It seems like some kind of mechanical sensor isn't working properly if IS is left on and the camera experiences large movements. Toggling the on/off switch fixes the jittering, so it's totally capable of instantly activating, just not from pulling the camera up to my face while left on. 

Contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements