cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Freezing after 1.8.1 Firmware upgrade

John421
Contributor

My R5 has been freezing up after the most recent firmware update, 1.8.1. Did I do something wrong, or is this been an issue with the Firmware update? If it's a known bug, I would rather not have to spend the $499 repair costs to send it in. Will the next update possibly address this? 

Purchased in Jan 2021. Using RF 100-500 lens. 

20 REPLIES 20

Hello, John! Sorry you're having problems with the R5 and wish I could give you an answer 😞

I've seen this reported several times now. I also use the R5 with the RF 100-500L but haven't had any problems at all with 1.8.1. I've had the camera for quite a while now and it's been solid with four different RF lenses and through all the f/w updates.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks, Newton. It happens with several Canon RF lenses but seems more frequent with the 100-500. 

John

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings John,

Does this behavior occur only when a RF 100-500 is connected?  Have you tried with another lens, memory card(s) etc?  Is all your gear Canon?  Battery, etc?

Have you performed a full camera reset?  Both main and custom settings?  Where does the $499 repair cost come from?  (Curious) and what repair are you referring to?

Thanks  

**Edit for misspelling 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

The behavior happens with other Canon RF lenses, batteries, and memory cards. (all Canon gear) I have not done a full camera reset yet. The repair costs are from the Canon website; when you start a repair order and describe the symptoms, the service invoice gives you an estimated repair cost. Thank you for your thoughts.

John

The behavior happens with other Canon RF lenses, batteries, and memory cards. (all Canon gear) I have not done a full camera reset yet. The repair costs are from the Canon website; when you start a repair order and describe the symptoms, the service invoice gives you an estimated repair cost. Thank you for your thoughts.

Nicholsandco
Contributor

My Canon R6 is doing the same thing after upgrading FW 1.8.1 during an in person Canon gear check by CPS. See my most recent post on this forum. Lots of questions no real answers from people replying to my post. Canon is awfully quite about this known issue?!?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I gave you 2 possible solutions to downgrade your firmware. Did you try them?

Not yet but I will try them. You were the only real help I received with actual solutions. Thank you!

I agree, Nick—lots of assumptions that I'm using off-brand gear and lenses, but I am not. The camera performance was like night and day after the firmware upgrade. There clearly is an issue that hasn't been uncovered yet or there are not ready to own up to it. I will keep you posted as I'm sending to the factory in the morning. Thanks for your thoughts.

Announcements