cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Firmware Version 1.5.0 Release

Lotus7
Rising Star

EOS R5 Owners:  

Software Version 1.5.0 should be released soon. 

It's required for use with Canon's new 3D virtual reality dual 180 deg. fisheye lens (or should it really be called fisheyes ?)

Stay tuned!

4 REPLIES 4

It will be interesting to see if they slip anything else in there.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

"It will be interesting to see if they slip anything else in there."

Typically not. Sometimes small bug swats are included but any feature added will be stated up front.  Any FW update should only be done if it has something that benefits you or any of the gear you use. If it doesn't the FW update won't offer any benefit or change anything.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It will be interesting to see if they slip anything else in there."

Typically not. Sometimes small bug swats are included but any feature added will be stated up front.  Any FW update should only be done if it has something that benefits you or any of the gear you use. If it doesn't the FW update won't offer any benefit or change anything.

For many years I followed your suggested path re: Firmware Upgrades, and believed it was a reasonable approach.  However my experience with the updates for the R and R5 have swayed me into the other camp of always updating Canon mirrorless cameras. 

The reason for this change has been that I've found that along with "fixes" for bugs that most of us never knew existed, Canon has cleverly added features and/or made changes without mentioning them in the release data.  One such example has been the addition of full support for one of the few non-Canon RF mount lenses.  The later (updated) R and R5 models now fully recognize and support the wonderful Samyang 14-mm f/2.8 RF lens (whch I love).  Canon makes no mention of that, but it does exist.

I totally agree thet updates may not always be warrented for some users, and should be "something that benefits you or any of the gear you use", but nowadays it's difficult or impossible to know exactly what an "update" may, or may not bring to the table.

(I stil keep auto download and install updates OFF for my computers and smartphones!)

Everyone needs to do as they see fit. Add to that 9 times out of 10 a FW undate goes off with out a hitch. Why not?  But if you are that one time and you didn't really need the FW update you will regret it. You now have a brick!

As far as the FW "supporting" your Samyang lens here is Canon's official statement on that.

"However, contrary to popular belief, these companies are not "licensed" to produce these lenses; instead, their designers must basically take apart and analyze EOS cameras and lenses, and then "reverse-engineer" them to fit and operate on EOS camera bodies."

"The makers of third-party accessory lenses are not given this information when Canon introduces new features or improves the performance of its cameras and lenses. It's up to them to continue to "reverse-engineer" their equipment to enable it to continue to work on new EOS bodies as they're developed. Since Canon designs our own processors and all electronics within the body and lens, we have been able to maintain backward compatibility. This is one of the many advantages of choosing a Canon EF lens.When changes in communication result in a third-party lens that now produces errors, it's up to the makers of that lens to update the equipment to work on the EOS camera in question. Again Canon's own EF lenses work without modification."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements