cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5/EF Adapter compatibility

drodow
Apprentice

Hello, I have the EOS R5 with a Canon Mount EF Adapter and a 70-300mm 5.6L IS USM lens. I need to know it the Canon 1.4x extender will work with this configuration?  I hope so otherwise I will have to sell the 300 and buy the 100-400.
Thank you for your help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The EF 70-300L is NOT compatible with Canon's teleconverters - they will physically not fit on this lens.

If you want to get an extended reach, then the RF100-500L is a brilliant choice for the R5 (at a cost), but if you want to stick with EF lenses, then I can recommend the 100-400MkII or the Sigma 150-600c lenses. 

However, given that the R5 has 45MP,  it might be worth keeping your EF 70-300L and simply crop - it IS an excellent lens!

To demonstrate the potential of a higher MP sensor with this lens, this is the 70-300L with the quite unforgiving Canon EOS 5DsR, which has the cancelled AA filter and at 52MP shows any flaw in the lens or its use.  Of course, to post here, the images have had to be SERIOUSLY downgraded, but you should get the idea.

As taken: Helicopter ULR.jpg

After cropping:

Helicopter ULR FS.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

@drodow wrote:

"Hello, I have the EOS R5 with a Canon Mount EF Adapter and a 70-300mm 5.6L IS USM lens. I need to know it the Canon 1.4x extender will work with this configuration?  I hope so otherwise I will have to sell the 300 and buy the 100-400.
Thank you for your help."

As mentioned, the extender won't physically fit the EF 70-300mm L f/4-5.6 IS USM II, so IMO if you are going to spring for the EF 100-400mm L f/4.5-5.6 IS USM II, I would go for the RF 100-500mm L f/4.5-7.1 IS USM. I agree with Trevor that the EF 70-300L II is a great lens. I have used it on all of my bodies, from an XSi, through various Rebels to the 7D mark II, 5D mark IV and now the R5 and R6. You will get good resolution with it on the R5 so you can crop in, if need be. I also have the EF 100-400mm L II and a 1.4X extender. I really don't care for that combo as it just doesn't give me the res I want, plus you are giving up a stop at 400mm. Like you, I shoot birds, more times than not, tiny birds like warblers. The EF 100-400mm L II and ring adapter on the R5 works great and if I get close, cropping still leaves plenty of detail and I could get a 10" print when needed.

Although I like the EF 100-400mm L II, I still bought the RF 100-500mm L for the R5 and let the EF 100-400mm L II live on the 5D IV. I like the RF glass and although I can only see a slight improvement in IQ in the RF L over the EF L glass I own, there is more to it then that, like they are generally lighter, designed better (according to specs), and I like the redesigned hood of the RF 100-500 L, I know, small thing, but it is what it is. Although EF glass works fine on the R systems, I think the RF glass is the way to go if you can afford it, it just feels right.

Tufted Titmouse - R5 and RF 100-500 L at 35 feet.

Tufted Titmouse Test-0000002a.JPG

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - R5 and RF 100-500 L at 40 feet. These birds are under 3" and a pain to shoot. They hardly ever sit still and rarely come out in the open.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet-0000002aS.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you talking an RF100-400? Whether the extender works or not, it is probably best to have an RF lens.

I hadn't thought that far about it yet.  I'd have to research the advantages as I really wanted the extender for bird photography, more is better.   With the price of the extender plus the EF 100-400, I'm not that far away from the price of the RF 100-500.  Thanks

This is potentially misleading -- an RF lens will NOT work on an EF extender, just as you can't adapt an RF lens to an EF body.

There is an RF extender, and like the EF extender, it has a limited list of lenses it works with -- see the manual for the list.  It's a VERY short list, and the 100-400 is NOT on the list; the 100-500 is.  See the manual here:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/rf-lenses/extender-rf-1.4x.html?t...

Of course a longer lens *instead* of a converter should be fine.

So, we have many points at which one can be confused!
Certainly, my experience indicates that the EF 70-300L does not accept an extender and I cannot find a listing of any suggestion from Canon that this is the case.  Nor can I find any reference to any lenses apart from the four units I listed.
I agree it seems logical to me that adding the extender between the EF-RF adapter and the body is unlikely to be incompatible.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The EF 70-300L is NOT compatible with Canon's teleconverters - they will physically not fit on this lens.

If you want to get an extended reach, then the RF100-500L is a brilliant choice for the R5 (at a cost), but if you want to stick with EF lenses, then I can recommend the 100-400MkII or the Sigma 150-600c lenses. 

However, given that the R5 has 45MP,  it might be worth keeping your EF 70-300L and simply crop - it IS an excellent lens!

To demonstrate the potential of a higher MP sensor with this lens, this is the 70-300L with the quite unforgiving Canon EOS 5DsR, which has the cancelled AA filter and at 52MP shows any flaw in the lens or its use.  Of course, to post here, the images have had to be SERIOUSLY downgraded, but you should get the idea.

As taken: Helicopter ULR.jpg

After cropping:

Helicopter ULR FS.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you for the help and especially the pics showing cropping advantage.  Very helpful info!

@drodow wrote:

"Hello, I have the EOS R5 with a Canon Mount EF Adapter and a 70-300mm 5.6L IS USM lens. I need to know it the Canon 1.4x extender will work with this configuration?  I hope so otherwise I will have to sell the 300 and buy the 100-400.
Thank you for your help."

As mentioned, the extender won't physically fit the EF 70-300mm L f/4-5.6 IS USM II, so IMO if you are going to spring for the EF 100-400mm L f/4.5-5.6 IS USM II, I would go for the RF 100-500mm L f/4.5-7.1 IS USM. I agree with Trevor that the EF 70-300L II is a great lens. I have used it on all of my bodies, from an XSi, through various Rebels to the 7D mark II, 5D mark IV and now the R5 and R6. You will get good resolution with it on the R5 so you can crop in, if need be. I also have the EF 100-400mm L II and a 1.4X extender. I really don't care for that combo as it just doesn't give me the res I want, plus you are giving up a stop at 400mm. Like you, I shoot birds, more times than not, tiny birds like warblers. The EF 100-400mm L II and ring adapter on the R5 works great and if I get close, cropping still leaves plenty of detail and I could get a 10" print when needed.

Although I like the EF 100-400mm L II, I still bought the RF 100-500mm L for the R5 and let the EF 100-400mm L II live on the 5D IV. I like the RF glass and although I can only see a slight improvement in IQ in the RF L over the EF L glass I own, there is more to it then that, like they are generally lighter, designed better (according to specs), and I like the redesigned hood of the RF 100-500 L, I know, small thing, but it is what it is. Although EF glass works fine on the R systems, I think the RF glass is the way to go if you can afford it, it just feels right.

Tufted Titmouse - R5 and RF 100-500 L at 35 feet.

Tufted Titmouse Test-0000002a.JPG

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - R5 and RF 100-500 L at 40 feet. These birds are under 3" and a pain to shoot. They hardly ever sit still and rarely come out in the open.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet-0000002aS.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thank you very much for the helpful comments and recommendation!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The issue with the 70-300 lens is that for lengths shorter than around 250mm the rear element of the lens extends beyond the mount and will hit the extender. If you are willing to accept essentially a fixed 420mm lens then it will work. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements