cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Custom mode and coming back from sleep resets settings to initial from custom mode

osya_bender
Contributor

Here is the use case:

- Set camera to custom mode, say C1 that has shutter speed 1/400 configured for it.

- While in C1 shoot as usual adjusting shutter speed as need, say to 1/125

- Let camera go to sleep

- Wake the camera up

Observe shutter speed is reset to 1/400

I'd expect this not to be the case because letting camera going to sleep and waking it up is not the same (shouldn't be) as turning it off and then on.

If you enable autoupdate for the custom settings it will keep updating it with whatever you choose duting shotting but this kind of defeats the purpose of the custom mode in my opinion, where you are guaranteed to always start from the same set of settings when switch to that mode.

87 REPLIES 87

Are you registering the camerasettings before you use C1?

I suspect what the custom shooting modes are designed to is not what you are looking to do

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You don't have to register the camera settings. They are set that way by default. I never make changes to C3 and it exhibits the behavior by default. But yes for C1 and C2 I did register the camerasettings, I assume you mean saving them using the menus.

If you want C1 to change your settings every minute without your permission, then yes, this feature is for you. I don't want any feature changing my settings unless i explicietly want it to or I program the camera to. I know of no reason anyone would want a camera to change it's own settings every minute.by itself.

Then they are not designed to do what normal photographers do.

People use camera gear in many different ways, for many different purposes. I understand that you want to use the camera in a specific way, and I realize that you are frustrated, but emotive statements like this is not helping you, or me.  How people use their cameras does not define them as 'normal' or otherwise and bringing such terms into the discussion with experienced professional photographers who are volunteering to help you is not a positive move.   

If you want to continue to get help from this forum I suggest you start your own thread so that anyone trying to help you will not get a series of confusing posts from different people.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I think you are the problem. You can't understand simple examples from 3 different people and are the one that is confused.

Then I suggest you go somewhere else for support.  This conversation is at an end.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It is at an end with you, not the other poster and myself.

tlinn
Contributor

I have the same problem. Auto power off should be treated as a sleep mode that does not reset the Custom shooting mode to the stored settings. Only a power cycle using the physical switch or moving out of that particular custom shooting mode should cause a reset. The two options available to R5 users now are not ideal as they both have drawbacks: I don't want to permanently save temporary changes nor do I want my temporary changes reset unintentionally. My workaround is to set the "Auto power off" setting to at least 10 minutes for C1-C3 to prevent a reset for at least that long. In all other modes, it is set lower to save battery.

The custom shooting modes are not designed to work that way.  Save your settings to the SD card.  Save this menu function in a custom menu for quick access.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Does-save-settings-on-card-with-R5-sa... 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That is the problem, I don't want to save my settings to the card or to the C1, they are temp settings that should not be changed until I turn off the camera or change to C2 then back to C1. I have already mentioned this and so have others.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements