cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 C1~C3 bug

MonkeyCanon
Apprentice

I've noticed a wierd bug with the ISO when using C1~C3. 

So this is my setup:
M-Fn set to: Switch to Custom Shooting mode
C1: 1/100 F11 ISO100 no brackets
C2: 1/100 F11 ISO100 2 brackets
C3: 1/100 F11 ISO100 3 brackets

I use ISO 100 as my base ISO for C1~C3, but if I go into any one of the C modes and change the ISO (as you would in the real world), it'll also change the ISO to some random value in the other modes. Often it switching from ISO 100 to some crazy value like 20000 or 51200.

Is this happening for anyone else's R5?

17 REPLIES 17

JimFeet
Contributor

I have a somewhat different yet possibly related scenario...

NOTE: The following occurs ONLY IF the Auto Update Set. function is ENABLED for custom shooting modes.

Start in M (manual) mode. Set f10, ISO 200, 1/200 sec (arbitrary settings, most any suffice for this example). Set 5 frame exposure bracketing. Register these settings for C1. Switch from M mode to C1 and verify the settings. Turn off the camera and wait 5-10 seconds. Turn the camera back on. Since it was shut down in C1, it reboots in C1 but now the exposure bracketing is lost. But switch to M mode and the bracketing has been retained!

We're not done...

We're in Manual mode and bracketing appears to have been lost for C1 yet retained for Manual mode between shutdowns. Turn OFF the camera. Wait 5-10 seconds and turn the camera back on. Since it was shut down in M it reboots in Manual but now we've lost exposure bracketing in Manual AND in C1.

If we DISABLE the Auto Update Set. function, all pertinent values appear to be retained between shutdowns for both M and C1 modes.

The Auto Update Set. function appears to be the source of some confusion within the R5. I employ AEB for many photographic situations and having it available as a custom function is vital to my workflow.

I am not sure whether or not the R5 registers exposure bracketing in custom shooting modes.  I know that DSLRs do not register exposure bracketing.  Canon has done a poor job with User Guides lately.  Thie manual does not document which settings are able to be registered.  The following is from an 80D User Guide.

B054769F-33EE-4FC6-9EC1-80EA8361DAF1.jpeg

This is not documented in either the R5 or 90D User Guides.  Lens Group specifications are missing, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle: The R5 can register bracketing settings into the C Modes. This is on my R5 with the latest firmware. Unfortunately the ISO goes nuts and affects the other C Modes if I change it. This is with or without the Auto Update Set. function enabled.

@MonkeyCanon wrote:

Waddizzle: The R5 can register bracketing settings into the C Modes. This is on my R5 with the latest firmware. Unfortunately the ISO goes nuts and affects the other C Modes if I change it. This is with or without the Auto Update Set. function enabled.

You do not know that for a fact.  It is pure conjecture on your part.  Like I said, it is totally undocumented, and registering bracketing is inconsistent with camera bodies Canon has released in the past.

Waddlzzle: uhhhh, yeah I do, I have a R5 sitting in front of me and I can set C1 to no bracket, C2 to 2 bracket, C3 to 3 bracket and it remembers. 

Out of curiosity, I grabbed my 5D4, and bracket settings can also be registered to any of the C modes. I'm not sure why you think DSLRs can't do that.

Also, 

"I know that DSLRs do not register exposure bracketing."

I beg to differ. I'm looking at a Canon EOS 5DSR as well as an EOS 1DX and a 1DXII right now. ALL of these cameras record and retain exposure bracket settings. I nearly always shoot the 5DSR with 7 exposures affording me the option to employ Aurora HDR if I choose to.

There are other settings that appear to be retained by the R5 custom modes (and which can sometimes be mildly annoying) but which I haven't chosen to investigate in detail - yet.

@JimFeet wrote:

"I know that DSLRs do not register exposure bracketing."

I beg to differ. I'm looking at a Canon EOS 5DSR as well as an EOS 1DX and a 1DXII right now. ALL of these cameras record and retain exposure bracket settings. I nearly always shoot the 5DSR with 7 exposures affording me the option to employ Aurora HDR if I choose to.

There are other settings that appear to be retained by the R5 custom modes (and which can sometimes be miltly annoying) but which I haven't chosen to investigate in detail - yet.

No, they don't.  You're making a false assumption.  Show it to me in the User Guide.  Below is from the 1Dx Mark II.  It appears to be the only series of Canon DSLRs that saves "AEB Increment", which I assume to be bracketing.  

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 4.57.32 PM.png

The settings saved by the 5DSR are simillar to the 80D.  This means the 5DSR does not save Exposure Bracketing, either, as per page 438 in my manual.

The 1D bodies do not have custom shooting modes.  You save and load camera settings to and from the memory card,

The topic is the R5, not the 1D Series.  The OP claims the camera registers the settings, but is complaining about how it does not seem to work as expected.  It is working as it should.  I do not know what the issue is with ISO, though.  No of it is documented by Canon.

I don't need to show you in the user guide. I see it in all of my cameras. You can argue about what's written. I'll simply reply with what IS. I've used this feature for years. Arguing that it doesn't exist is futile when I have hands on experience for many years with this equipment. The fact something isn't explicitly documented doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

@JimFeet wrote:

I don't need to show you in the user guide. I see it in all of my cameras. You can argue about what's written. I'll simply reply with what IS. I've used this feature for years. Arguing that it doesn't exist is futile when I have hands on experience for many years with this equipment. The fact something isn't explicitly documented doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Okay.  Have it your way.  It doesn't save exposure bracketing properly.  It does not work.  Contact Canon Support.

Announcements