cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card's write protect switch is set to lock but isn't

Sleepyhollow
Apprentice
Message on display reads "Card's write protect switch is set to lock" but trying two different cards that are NOT locked give the same result. On one occasion I could take a picture but review of that shot was a blank screen.

Should I "reset to factory settings" and how do I do that?
5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

Since none of us have any idea what card or camera you're playing with please give specifics.

CAMERA MODEL

CARD BRAND & EXACTLY what version, class, size & anything else that may narrow down exactly what it's performance specs are.

There are so many new card types these days which were developed after the camera people have & they are therefore not accepted by the camera.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

The camera is a Rebel T4i and the card is Sony 16GB with a 10 speed.

Oops. And a SD HC 1 also on the card

Are both cards the same? Have you used them before or are they new? From what I can see when searching for a 16 gig Sony card I can ONLY find cards meeting the new UHS class & I don't think your camera can recognize that card style. My downloaded manual for the T4i lists it as needing SDHC class 6 or higher BUT it couldn't know about newer styles of cards that would be developed later than at the time the camera was built & the manual wrote. It's a very hard topic to nail down specifics for camera / card compatibility.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

NX
Contributor

I suggest you may try different brand of SD card . The SD card could be defective.  You may try SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC's If that does work for you.  Although i had few SD cards in the past gave me issues with the Lock slider locking on me while inserting the SD card into the camera.  Other thing to consider the camera firmware may not recognize the SD card... You may watch this Youtube Video I hope it helps

Announcements