cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 1.7.0 -> 1.8.1 Firmware update issue

imseanbrown
Apprentice

Long time listener, first time caller.... 

Having some wacky issue with my EOS R5 trying to update the firmware from 1.7.0 -> 1.8.1. When I attempt to run the firmware upgrade utility, the camera reboots. (See video of said shenanigans here: https://youtu.be/V9wjgpU7VqM

Here's important information: 

- Problem occurs both if firmware is present on the SD card id executed via the camera menu and if the firmware update is started via the EOS Utility app directly connected to my laptop via USB.

- Camera has two full batteries

- Camera is stable and does not reboot *EVER*. It only exhibits this behavior during the firmware update program.

- I have performed a full camera reset and re-attempted the upgrade and the same issues occur.

- The file I am using is EOSR5181.FIR

Looking for guidance from the community.

Thanks,

Sean - DESTINATIONS UNKNOWN

https://destinationsunknown.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Adding to Ricky's suggestion.

Remove grip from the camera, just use a single battery.  If you have any accessories installed, remove those as well.  Lens too, its not needed.  

Remove both memory cards.  Use an SD card for the upgrade.  Format the card in camera.  Use a card reader and copy the .FIR file to the root of the SD card.  Insert that one card and perform the FW upgrade again.

Let us know the results.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I see you have a battery grip. Wondering if there something about that setup that is causing issues with the update.  Thus, try disconnecting the battery grip and seeing if the firmware can then be updated.   

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Adding to Ricky's suggestion.

Remove grip from the camera, just use a single battery.  If you have any accessories installed, remove those as well.  Lens too, its not needed.  

Remove both memory cards.  Use an SD card for the upgrade.  Format the card in camera.  Use a card reader and copy the .FIR file to the root of the SD card.  Insert that one card and perform the FW upgrade again.

Let us know the results.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

imseanbrown
Apprentice

Hey guys - Thanks for responding so quickly. I took your advice and broke down the rig with just one battery and no lens and the upgrade was successful!

Thanks everyone!

Sean

Announcements