cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3 multi buttons with different AF settings

PUHY
Apprentice

Can you assign multiple buttons with different auto focus settings. For example back button is set for eye detection and shutter button is set for spot focus? I’ve tried this but still bounces. 

3 REPLIES 3

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi PUHY,

You can map different types of focus modes to different buttons. Information on customizing the button function mapping is on pages 973-984. Those pages list what functions can be mapped to each button. When you are customizing a button to start AF select that function and then press the INFO button. That will bring up the advanced customization features and it will allow you to set the specific type of auto focus you want the button to use.

If you need a copy of the manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Manuals button and the one to reference is named EOS R3 Advanced User Guide.

Samsimon
Apprentice

My question is slightly different.  I wish to use front button focus ,, usually set at small focus point.  I’d like to have a button assigned a larger focus point ,, ex the AF-ON button.  When I do that and activate ficus using the rear button, when I return to using the shutter button for my selected focus point and exposure , the focus point has bounced back to what was the selected point via the AF-ON button.   This hybrid set up can be accomplished on Nikon , but I can’t seem to achieve it on my R3 or R5.    I’ve reviewed the advanced guide.  Any advice ?

Hello Samsimon,

I would suggest calling our phone support for further assistance with this. Our phone support reps, when in office, can actually put hands on the camera for you and test it in real time, if you'd like. Phone support is available, Monday through Friday (in office, Tuesdays & Thursdays) between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666 if you would like to give them a call. They will be closed this Tuesday (7/4) in observance of the Independence Day holiday. 

Announcements