cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3 Register/Recall function not working after firmware 1.4.0

nycska
Contributor

I'm pretty sure this happened some time after I updated the firmware to 1.4.0, but suddenly the button (AE lock) that I assign "Register Recall Shooting Function" stopped working. Just does nothing. I can assign other custom functions to the button, and they work, but register/recall does nothing on that button or other buttons. The custom function seems to have just stopped working.

Anyone else? I have not done a factory reset yet, but will before I roll back to 1.3.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SOLUTION:

Register/Recall is NOT functional when "Panning Assist" is turned on. Remount a lens that allows for panning assist, turn it off, and Register/Recall works again.

Some documentation from Canon on that would have been nice...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Please upgrade to 1.4.1 and re-test.  

1.4.0 had an issue. I don't recall what it was but you need to upgrade to the latest available firmware > 1.4.1.  It includes nine fixes, all good stuff.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r3

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I should have mentioned, 1.4.1 did not fix it.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Then the next step is a settings reset.  It might just be as simple as a combination of your customizations.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yeah reset is next, just wondering if anyone else had run into this. My current combination of settings has been working since 1.3.0, so if it is that simple, it had something to do with 1.4.0, as this issue just popped up. Settings are saved to a card, so I'll reload them and hope it doesn't reload the problem lol.

FWIW a full factory reset did not fix it. Tried before re-loading settings from card and after. Register/Recall has no response assigned to any button, but buttons are functional whit other functions.

SOLUTION:

Register/Recall is NOT functional when "Panning Assist" is turned on. Remount a lens that allows for panning assist, turn it off, and Register/Recall works again.

Some documentation from Canon on that would have been nice...

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Interesting.  Have some additional info for you.

So Panning Assist is enabled in FW v1.4.0 and > but only in "M" or Tv" modes

and

You cannot use Register Recall when panning assist is activated.  These are the lenses that support panning assist.

Canon : Supplemental Information : Lenses Compatible with Panning (start.canon) 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements