Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Photograph: EOS 600D Struggling to focus through viewfinder

danielk17
Contributor

Hello all,

I hope everyone is well.

I've been using my EOS600D for a while now. I've been very happy with it, but I do notice that sometimes it struggles to focus either through the screen or the viewfinder (terminology maybe off as I have next to no knowledge with cameras). 

I use my camera to photograph items of clothing hung up on a hanger. I'll provide examples. The settings I use are 1/80, F8 and 1600 ISO. I also use the kit lens and take around 800-1000 photos per week, so I tend to use the lens until it dies, then I just replace it.

I've noticed that my camera has been struggling when I've been trying to take a profile picture of the item (the main photo). Whenever I zoom in, it works absolutely fine.

I'll include a video of the problem I'm dealing with. It's mainly the noise the camera makes as I had to hold my iphone next to it.

If anyone has advice, I'd massively appreciate it. I'm also open minded to a new camera. My main is to take as many photos as possible, as quickly as possible, with at least a good quality image (it's mainly used for eBay, Etsy etc).

Thank you!

Video:

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0015.jpg

17 REPLIES 17

rs-eos
Elite

@danielk17 wrote:

I also use the kit lens and take around 800-1000 photos per week, so I tend to use the lens until it dies, then I just replace it.

Are you saying that your kit lens breaks and you've been replacing that lens over and over?  If so, there would seem to be a serious problem with your camera.  Do you have access to another camera that you can try the lenses on?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for your reply.

My kit lens breaks roughly ever year or so. Sorry, I didn't really explain that. My point was that I probably haven't invested heavily in a 'better' lens as I do around 1000 photos per week. I normally replace my kit lens maybe once every 2 years, sometimes less, sometimes more.

Thanks

Peter
Authority
Authority

What if you print this and try to use AF? I think low contrast for the AF.

http://www.clipartbest.com/chess-board-pattern

Will it work much better?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure I understand properly. I should take a photo of the chessboard?

If the lens works with the chessboard and not the clothes, then the issue is low contrast.

Ohh, that's well clever! Thanks for that.

So I just take a photo of the screen with the chessboard? Or is it better to print off?

The problem is, my camera has been working fine. I've only noticed the last 2 days it's been struggling. 

In terms of contrast, apologies if I sound stupid, but as the item is very bright on a white background, surely that's enough contrast?

Thanks

It should be, but what is the focusing mode your camera is set to?  Spot? Evaluative?   I would expect that if spot, it may struggle if what is at that spot is very flat color with little to no detail.  Try evaluative instead.

--
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for the reply.

I've just checked my focusing mode. It's set to 'One Shot'. The selection is set to auto selection. Is this what you meant? I've googled spot and evaluative and I'm unsure if I can do something like that with my camera.

Thanks

Sorry, meant to say "Metering Mode" and not focusing mode.   See page 102 in the User Manual for details.

--
Ricky

click here to view the gallery
Announcements