cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem R6 II Video continuous AF not working with Adapter and Tamron lense

jinspin
Contributor

I just got R6 II and video continuous autofocus is not working with my tamron 24-70 and ef adapter. It won't transition focus when rack focusing from object to object unless I press shutter halfway down. I have Movie Servo AF enabled with Whole Area AF.  Is this because I am using adapter? 
I need continuous AF to work for video since I do events with moving subjects so this is major issue.

UPDATE SOLUTION- I got Canon adapter and AF worked in video. So 3rd party adapter was problem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

heres UPDATE - I got Canon adapter and AF worked in video. So 3rd party adapter was problem

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

As of 12/14/23 the R6 Mk II is not listed:

Screenshot 2023-12-17 113936.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

i am using meike adapter with control ring. I am using Tamron 24-70 2.8 G. I also tried Canon 70-200 lense and continuous AF for video also not working.  It won't refocus until you press shutter halfway.
Everything works except continuous AF for video. Everyone says its just spacer so i didn't think it was big deal to get this. I just ordered canon adapter to see if it fixes it.

hello

someone mentioned to turn enable Preview AF. I thought this was only for Photos as people said to turn it off because it drains batteries. But do we need to have this enabled for Continuous AF to work for video? I have yet to try as I already packed up adapter to return.

i think i have to enable Preview AF. i turned it off when i saw this for photos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZG7ymT37Uc

heres UPDATE - I got Canon adapter and AF worked in video. So 3rd party adapter was problem

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is the exact model number of the lens that you are trying to use?

Movie Servo AF is where the rubber meets the road when it comes to compatibility with cameras that use Canon’s Dual Pixel AF sensors.  Not every Canon EF lens is fully compatible Dual Pisel AF sensor body cameras using Movie Servo AF.

What do you see for this menu setting?  Is it greyed out?  Warning Message?

F90C185C-76FA-4AE6-AA6C-C85A8F1C6130.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jinspin
Contributor

i am using meike adapter with control ring. I am using Tamron 24-70 2.8 G. I also tried Canon 70-200 lense and continuous AF for video also not working.  It won't refocus until you press shutter halfway.
Everything works except continuous AF for video. Everyone says its just spacer so i didn't think it was big deal to get this. I just ordered canon adapter to see if it fixes it.

@jinspin wrote:

The third party mount adapter is definitely a problem, if not THE problem.  Be aware that depending upon the age of your lenses, using a Canon mount adapter may not fix your problems with Movie Servo AF.  Refer to the highlighted note in my screenshot of the manual.  

If your Canon ef 70-200mm is not a Mark II or Mark II release, then you may still experience compatibility issues with using Movie Servo.  I recommend disabling all the advanced focusing features found in MILC camera bodies, like Eye and Animal AF.  Only enable the features found in DSLRs.  Face detection only worked in Live View mode in DSLR, so I would disable that, too.  

If the setting I noted earlier is unavailablr, then none of these features will work properly with older lenses, so you might just as well disable them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for info. i tried adapter with canon 70-200 II and it would not change focus. So I think it is adapter. I ordered canon adapter and will see if it fixes problem. It would be disappointing if I have to disable advanced features like eye detection to make ef lenses work. I was hoping to use my existing lenses.

someone mentioned to turn enable Preview AF. I thought this was only for Photos as people said to turn it off because it drains batteries. But do we need to have this enabled for Continuous AF to work for video? I have yet to try as I already packed up adapter to return.

i think i have to enable Preview AF. i turned it off when i saw this for photos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZG7ymT37Uc

Announcements