cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prefix file name underscore versus 8

Zbadger
Contributor
I use Adobe color space for my 5D Mark 4 which uses a file name with an initial underscore. However I am finding that on some of my folders the majority of my files will be correctly labeled with an underscore but then a lesser number of them will randomly instead have an 8 starting off the name of the file. I contacted Canon technical support and they have never heard of this issue.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The RAW file metadata is supposed to describe the RAW file, not some edits that someone made."

WE AGREE!  Smiley Wink It is simply a matter of how each editor handles it but there is one.

Frankly, Gentlemen, if I've inadvertently done something to help bridge the gap between you, my day has not been wasted!  Smiley Happy

Well, actually, it has. I'm supposed to be spending my time cleaning out our old house so that we can complete our move to Philadelphia. But that's another story.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

'Adobe is always behind the curve; they have to wait for Canon to tell them what's included in the latest RAW file format."

Canon does not document how their Raw files work. Others will always be "behind the curve" because they have to analyse how they work.

"DPP's RAW files have always reliably included all the edits I've made... I have no reason to suppose that I've been getting some special treatment."

Sorry ya lost me on that one.  I suspect DPP4 works exactly for you as it does for everybody.

"... if I've inadvertently done something to help bridge the gap between you, my day has not been wasted!"

I don't mind being shown where I go wrong.  It happens and it will happen again, I'm sure.  However, I don't like rude so I bow out then.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48

Tim
Authority

Hello Zbadger, 

We are sorry to hear that this issue persists.  We would need to evaluate this unit at Canon at your earliest convenience.  

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Are you saying that there might be something wrong with this camera as this has happened on and off during at least the past year - as shown in pictures May 2018 also.  And if htere was something defective with the camera, will I be charged for it?  You will see there is no damage to the caera whatsoever.

Hello Zbadger, 

It's hard to say at this point, there very well could be.  We would need staff on hand at the FSC to evaluate your unit.  If you are within the initial one year period since purchase, we recommend sending a copy of the receipt so we can process the warranty.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Are any of the misnamed files HDR captures?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“I m not sure whether the user's color space preference is among the metadata saved in the RAW file. I think it probably is, but I haven't had time to verify that. “

If you think about it for a second, it cannot be saved in the RAW file. The RAW file metadata is supposed to describe the RAW file, not some edits that someone made.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"The RAW file metadata is supposed to describe the RAW file, not some edits that someone made."

WE AGREE!  Smiley Wink It is simply a matter of how each editor handles it but there is one.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Frankly, Gentlemen, if I've inadvertently done something to help bridge the gap between you, my day has not been wasted!  Smiley Happy

Well, actually, it has. I'm supposed to be spending my time cleaning out our old house so that we can complete our move to Philadelphia. But that's another story.

Bob

@Waddizzle wrote:
“I m not sure whether the user's color space preference is among the metadata saved in the RAW file. I think it probably is, but I haven't had time to verify that. “

If you think about it for a second, it cannot be saved in the RAW file. The RAW file metadata is supposed to describe the RAW file, not some edits that someone made.

The RAW file metadata is whatever Canon says it is. That's why Adobe is always behind the curve; they have to wait for Canon to tell them what's included in the latest RAW file format.

DPP's RAW files have always reliably included all the edits I've made (assuming that I remember to save the file when I'm done editing). And I have no reason to suppose that I've been getting some special treatment.

Bob

'Adobe is always behind the curve; they have to wait for Canon to tell them what's included in the latest RAW file format."

Canon does not document how their Raw files work. Others will always be "behind the curve" because they have to analyse how they work.

"DPP's RAW files have always reliably included all the edits I've made... I have no reason to suppose that I've been getting some special treatment."

Sorry ya lost me on that one.  I suspect DPP4 works exactly for you as it does for everybody.

"... if I've inadvertently done something to help bridge the gap between you, my day has not been wasted!"

I don't mind being shown where I go wrong.  It happens and it will happen again, I'm sure.  However, I don't like rude so I bow out then.

EB
Announcements