cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential built-in flash in Canon 6D mark II?

dane
Contributor

I was thinking about getting one of Canon's full frame sensor cameras, seen rumours they are going to announce 6D Mark II after they have launched the 5D mark IV, does anyone think there is a chance they will add a built-in flash to the 6D Mark II? Why doesn't Canon offer a full frame camera with a built-in flash? Thanks for your help. 

14 REPLIES 14

ScottyP
Authority
Hi

On board flash is a consumer level feature pros and upper end body users don't really want. 6d may be kind of a lower cost full frame body but Canon seem to group it in with the rest of the full frame bodies in deciding on this feature.

Image quality is poor with low direct flash. You not only get red eye but also ugly shadows on walls behind the subject and an overall 2 dimensional flat look. Full frame cameras have always cost more and were marketed to pros and enthusiasts, and they would use bounced speed lite flashes or off-camera flash, or even if used head-on the speed lite sits up higher. A pop up flash would not be tall enough to clear the end of a lens much longer than a kit lens, and would make a lens shadow at the bottom of your pictures.

Also, a 6d is mostly, though not all metal for ruggedness, and it has at least a little weatherproofing. For 5 series and 1 series bodies, a pop up flash would be a weak spot that could get broken off or let weather in so they may see that the same for the 6 series too.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@dane wrote:

I was thinking about getting one of Canon's full frame sensor cameras, seen rumours they are going to announce 6D Mark II after they have launched the 5D mark IV, does anyone think there is a chance they will add a built-in flash to the 6D Mark II? Why doesn't Canon offer a full frame camera with a built-in flash? Thanks for your help. 

It would add to cost and weight - and possibly also size, depending on what circuitry Canon is cramming into that part of the camera at present. And as a practical matter, a built-in flash probably wouldn't be of much use, because a lot of the best lenses for FF cameras are so big that they would cast a shadow in the field of view. Even on my 7D's the built-in flash is nearly useless because the lens I use most, the otherwise excellent 17-55mm f/2.8, casts an ugly shadow.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

And there you have it... pro or advanced amateur photographers prefer not to use a built-in flash.  It's just an extra item to add expense to the body that wouldn't be used.

The built-in pop-up flash works well as a "fill" flash on bright sunny days or for back-lit subjects -- provided the subject isn't very far from the camera (perhaps 10-12' away, but at larger distances it is not effective unless you really crank up the ISO sensitivity).  And then there is the lens-shadow problem because the flash is too close to the lens.

If you move to a full-frame camera, you really want to use a much more powerful external flash which can be "bounced" off white ceilings or walls for indoor shooting or the use of off-camera flash for a much better quality of light & shadow that provides more of a three-dimensional look.  You cannot have "good light" without "good shadows" and to get good shadows, the flash needs to come off the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

dane
Contributor
Thank you all, all your answers are very helpful. These shadows you speak of, I understand what a shadow is, but if I'm mostly taking photographs outdoors of people, not really with much background or none at all, mainly during the daytime, would I still get these shadows? It seems like I would mainly get them indoor or with a close background to cast the shadow on.

I think the real reason is, there isn't room for one in a FF body. The prisim/mirror box area would have to be a lot larger.  I doubt the shadow issue has anything to do with it either.  That could easily be designed a little differently to avoid that.  I also doubt it has anything to do with the pros either.  The 6D, while a nice FF camera is not a full on pro level camera.  It is more the entry level FF that fills the large gap from the 7D and 7D Mk II to the 5D Mk III and possible Mk IV.  This of course, as always, is MHO on the subject but likely correct.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think Canon chooses not to include a built-in flash. Nikon is able to include in their ff D610 and D750.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Of course, it is always a "choice". I still think they found the space too limited and chose not to include it. The prisim on a brand-N is different than on a Canon.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I dont think there will be build in flash in 6d II. It is not a problem actually since you can buy small external fill-in flash like 90ex.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@dane wrote:

A full frame camera requires a larger pentaprism than an APS-C camera. Adding a built in flash would increase the size of the 6D.

In addition to my knowledge no camera sold has a built in flash, WiFi, and GPS, so combining those three and having reliable operation seems to be a greater challenge than one would imagine. 

Alternatives to the built-in flash: EOS 6D

'Canon's compact, full-frame EOS 6D camera achieves part of its compactness and weather-resistance by not having a built-in flash. With a solid, one-piece top cover, the camera is certainly better sealed against moisture and dust, and by not having to dedicate space above the prism area, there's room for a full glass pentaprism – for a brighter, more evenly-illuminated focus screen – without an abnormally large external design. And, it simplifies the addition of two key EOS 6D features, the built-in GPS receiver and Wi-Fi transmitter, both of which are housed in the prism area.

All that said, there's no arguing the convenience and usefulness of a super-compact, built-in flash in a modern digital SLR, but there are several options available to EOS 6D users who may want or need this functionality in their photography.'

Announcements