cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Please Help] Eos R6 - Big issues with auto focus

mislav031
Apprentice

Hello, I'm using EOS R6 and I'm having big problems with auto focus. Sometimes for "no reason" my camera loses focus and starts hunting with nothing being in focus for a moment. I'm shooting with face tracking and subject to detect is set to people, eye detection is also enabled (having same problem also with Spot AF, Zone AF and all other methods). I'm attaching a link to video so you can see what I'm exactly talking about.

Happens on all kind of different lenses. I tried few RF, EF and some Sigmas. Firmwares are all up to date.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

LINK TO VIDEO: https://files.fm/u/8cvpd9j4hm

*on example 3 it was even locked on grooms face

4 REPLIES 4

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi mislav031,

I took a look at your example video clips and I'm sorry to see your camera is having focusing difficulties. To fully trouble shoot this we would need a little bit more information. I see you mentioned you are using RF and EF lenses. What specific models are you using? I see you mentioned in example 3 the focus was on the groom's face. Where was the focus set on examples 1 and 2? Do any error messages ever show on the camera, and if an error is shown what does it say word for word?

There are a couple of things to check with issues like this. The first would be to try adjusting the tracking sensitivity and accel./decel. tracking for your tracking case. Setting the tracking sensitivity further to the negative side helps the camera stick to your selected subject rather than looking for a new subject. For the accel./decel. tracking that can depend from case to case. In these example videos setting it more towards the negative side may have helped since your subjects are moving at a steady pace. Having the accel./decel. tracking set to the positive side is more helpful when subjects are moving quickly.

If you have filters on your lenses try removing them to see if the same thing happens. This is a good thing to check even if it is a clear protective filter. Since filters add additional glass to the lens it can cause focus issues.

Hello,

Lenses I've been using: RF 24-105 f4-7.1, RF 35 f1.8, EF 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 24 f1.4...

So on the first and second example the focus was also on him but it wasnt me who locked it by clicking his face on display.

Yeah I tried using with Movie servo af track sens. on 0, -1, -2 and -3. Switching tracked subjects was set on either Initial priority or On subject. I also tried turning Lens drive when AF impossible On and Off but nothing helped me. It still happens.

Accel./decel tracking is not available in movie shooting, according to my camera.

I'm not using any filtera or covers on my lenses.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

mislav031,

Check to see if your Continuous AF is Enabled. (It should be in your menu settings).

If it is, try disabling it and see if that helps.

Steve Thomas

Hello and thank you for your reply.

Isn't Continuous AF option only for photo? My problem is with video.

Announcements