cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixelation when enlarging picture from an EOS R5/100-500 F4.5-7.1 L IS USM

Dmcd3055
Enthusiast

I am having issues when enlarging a picture taken with a canon R5 and the canon 100-500 F4.5-7.1 L IS USM.

When I try to increase the size I end up with pixelation. How do I avoid or correct this.  Shootin in RAW and JPEG how do you avoid pixelation when you elnarge a picture?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Dmcd3055 wrote:

I am having issues when enlarging a picture taken with a canon R5 and the canon 100-500 F4.5-7.1 L IS USM.

When I try to increase the size I end up with pixelation. How do I avoid or correct this.  Shootin in RAW and JPEG how do you avoid pixelation when you elnarge a picture?

1. what software product are you using?

2. how large an enlargement are you trying to achieve.

3. is the pixelation on your computer monitor or an exported file? An enlargement greater that 1:1 will result in pixelation on your computer display since you will need more than one monitor pixel to create a single image pixel.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

i am not using any post production product. I do have adobe photoshop and lightroom but havent yet learned how to use them.

I have a mac air notebook with 8 gigs of RAM

I am simply taking the SD card and using my Anker devise to view on my lap top.

I want the ability to be able to blow a picture up into frameable  common sizes  (8x10, 18x 24, 24x36)

the current size 17M 5088-3392 for both RAW and JPEG

@Dmcd3055 wrote:

i am not using any post production product. I do have adobe photoshop and lightroom but havent yet learned how to use them.

I have a mac air notebook with 8 gigs of RAM

I am simply taking the SD card and using my Anker devise to view on my lap top.

I want the ability to be able to blow a picture up into frameable  common sizes  (8x10, 18x 24, 24x36)

the current size 17M 5088-3392 for both RAW and JPEG

24x36 might be marginal, but the other print sizes should be OK.

Where are you seeing the pixelation - display or print?

Are you using Apple's Preview app?

Since you have an R5 you can use the free Canon DPP4 on your MacBook Air.

Can you post one of the 17M files to Dropbox or One Drive?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

pixcelation in the display

Apples preview App?

my son tried to load the DPP4.  Couldnt get it to load correctly

Does that replace photoshop and Lighthouse?

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 12.32.31 PM.png

You can find Preview in the Applications folder.

DPP4 is an alternative to Lightroom and Photoshop.

You can download your files to the MacBook, open them using Preview and print.

I have a MacBook Air but do not have trouble loading DPP4, so I can't help with that remotely.

Is he downloading the file from the Canon support page for macOS Ventura? That will work with Sonoma.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

HI Don,

John's already started asking the right questions in order for us to understand the issue you are facing better.

Your R5 can capture 45MP RAW files at up to 8192 x 5464.

Please confirm what mode you are capturing in?

Then tell us about your computer.  I'm more interested in its specs, than what OS its running windows / MAC.  Your monitor and video card might influence what you are seeing.  As John mentioned, it sounds like you are trying to zoom in or crop beyond the capability of your hardware.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements