cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pictures coming out blurry

rlangton
Contributor

Canon EOS Rebel SL2, pictures have started coming out very grainy/blurry.
I don't get why, this camera and lenses used to take crisp, beautiful pictures. I'm trying different lenses, I have an EFS 15-55mm and an EF 85mm. Auto focus is on for all lenses. Stabilizer off. File quality is L.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't see an option to reset all settings, where is that?
The picture size is 11MB, this forum only allows uploads up to 5MB. Should I lower the quality in the camera settings before taking a picture?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@rlangton wrote:

Canon EOS Rebel SL2, pictures have started coming out very grainy/blurry.
I don't get why, this camera and lenses used to take crisp, beautiful pictures. I'm trying different lenses, I have an EFS 15-55mm and an EF 85mm. Auto focus is on for all lenses. Stabilizer off. File quality is L.

Welcome to the forum.

Go into the menu and reset all camera settings.

Set camera to green square auto and take an outside photo of your home in good sun. 

If it is still not right post the image so we can examine it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I don't see an option to reset all settings, where is that?
The picture size is 11MB, this forum only allows uploads up to 5MB. Should I lower the quality in the camera settings before taking a picture?

Had to turn the quality from L (with a curved symbol) to M (with stairs symbol) to get the file size < 5MB

IMG_9089.JPG

F596ECFA-BDD1-46BB-8BE1-3F49F2863D04.jpeg

The image you posted looks fine to me. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Is it just a matter of lighting then? Something else? Maybe it was because I was using the P setting?

IMG_9003 (2).JPG

Merry Christmas.

Blur often comes from having a slower shutter and grain often from using a higher ISO.   Your last indoor image has a wider depth of field, so the aperture I'm guessing would be around f/4 or smaller?  Then to compensate for that, the shutter would be slower and/or ISO increased.

You could try the Tv mode (shutter priority) where you tell the camera what shutter speed to use.  Just a guess here, but try at least 1/100 seconds or perhaps faster.   The camera will then adjust the aperture and/or ISO to balance things out.

Or, if your lens has a wider aperture (e.g. f/2.8), set to program mode and choose that widest aperture plus an appropriate shutter to not be too slow.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

All camera/lens have their limitations. Your T5i did exactly what you told it to do.

On the outside photo, of the house, you told the T5i to shoot f10, SS 1/500 and you set auto ISO which the camera chose ISO 100. This is a great choice for a sharp picture.

On the indoor shot your settings changed to f7.1, SS 1/100 and now you set a fixed ISO of 25,600 since it looks like you turned off auto ISO. This is not a good choice for sharp photos.  The problem is, there just isn't sufficient light to make for a super sharp picture. This is one of the limitations that you have run up against. Also your focus point was the middle boy's forehead. DOF should be able to make a reasonably sharp photo, however. Solution is to add more light and drop the ISO to a more reasonable number. There are several ways to do that.

Your Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens has image stabilization so why not let it help? Let's try Av mode and set the lens to f4. Focal length around 30mm. Set the ISO to 800 or even 1600.  Now the T5i will select the fastest SS and hopefully the IS of the lens will kick in and make a nice sharp photo. This is equivalent to adding more light because you are just you are doing so with settings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
It looks like the antlers are sharper than the face of the girl. Do you know which focus mode you were using?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Touch focus on the mini screen.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements