cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pictures Turning Out Pure White

MrSpaceTeacher
Contributor

I'm having quite the connundrum, and I need to figure out if it's user error or camera fault.

Any time I switch my Canon 80D to the manual setting mode, any picture turns out pure white that I take. I've tried every setting I can think of. If I crank the aperture all the way up I can see some detail, but the picture still turns out almost completely white.

Am I correct in assuming that this is a shutter problem of some sort?

What's weird is that the camera works on the auto settings, but obviously auto isn't why I bought a thousand dollar camera.

Any help is very much appreciate! 

Jim

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@MrSpaceTeacher wrote:

I'm having quite the connundrum, and I need to figure out if it's user error or camera fault.

Any time I switch my Canon 80D to the manual setting mode, any picture turns out pure white that I take. I've tried every setting I can think of. If I crank the aperture all the way up I can see some detail, but the picture still turns out almost completely white.

Am I correct in assuming that this is a shutter problem of some sort?

What's weird is that the camera works on the auto settings, but obviously auto isn't why I bought a thousand dollar camera.

Any help is very much appreciate! 

Jim

The shutter wouldn't know what mode you were in. 

Do you have exposure compensation turned on or have a high ISO set?

If a methodical check of settings doesn't reveal the problem reset all camera settings and custom settings. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What are you taking a photo of? Are you indoors or outside?  Do you have the ISO value set very high?

Try this... outdoors when sunny, set to f/16, ISO 100 and 1/100 (or 1/125) shutter.  That should expose fairly well.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Do you understand manual mode? You need to find the right shutter speed to match the aperture you choose in Manual mode & that's done by using the light meter reading you see in the viewfinder display. An all white photo pretty much says to me overexposed which is too slow a shutter speed. That can be the chosen shutter speed, too much exposure compensation or a mix of both.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I have a basic understanding, but I am indeed learning.

Thank you for the information! 

I bring up the shutter because this is exactly the same issue a friend was having with his 80D, and it was a malfunctioning shutter.

However, I do believe I can eliminate this possibilty (which is good news) because the camera works fine on the automatic settings as seen in this picture below. This is just a test image. I'm going to try defaulting my settings and see if that works for me.

IMG_1069_1.jpg

Also pay attention to your ISO. A high ISO will overexpose too compared to the same other settings at a low ISO.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

Also pay attention to your ISO. A high ISO will overexpose too compared to the same other settings at a low ISO.

Thank you very much.

I suspected ISO initially, so I had it way down toward 100. 

I do believe I am not paying attention to my light meter near enough. I'm very new to it.

We all start off as rookies. Have you watched this?

http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

The sample image above shot in full Auto does not look right to me.  

Please perform a full reset of your camera settings.

What I see:

Auto Lighting Optimizer.

or

White Balance.

I intially though EV settings as well, but don't believe this applies except for P, Tv, Av or M mode.

The 80D should be capable of more.  Much more in auto, even when shooting into the sun like you are .

Something is off

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@MrSpaceTeacher wrote:

@cicopo wrote:

Thank you very much.

I suspected ISO initially, so I had it way down toward 100. 

I do believe I am not paying attention to my light meter near enough. I'm very new to it.

You may want to look at these series of videos from Canon at least once or twice.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp-znpQge8HxrllwXwn9B0Xxf1f7BQnXC 

You will want to have your fully charged camera nearby.  I recommend a comfortable chair and a tripod.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements