cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original Digital Rebel and Flash Recommendations

isifvs
Apprentice

I have the original Digital Rebel camera, which I purchased in 2001, I think it was.  And I would like to add a flash unit to it.  I am specifically looking one of the speedlites, but can't tell if any of them will work.  I would hate to by one only to find out that it won't fit this camera.  I was specifically looking at the 600EX-RT.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

They should all work.  Is there a reason that you're looking at the 600EX?  It just seems odd to spend that much cash on a flash when you own an old 300D.  Really the only reason I see to own a 600EX is if you plan on getting multiple 600D so you can take advantage of the internal radio function.  My suggestion would be a 430exII or 580exII, or even a third party flash.   What do you intend to use the flash for?  (i.e. on camera/off camera, candid, studio, etc).

Thanks for your response.

No, not really., although I sort of wanted to stay with a speedlite.  As long as any of the speedlites will work, that should be ok.  I just need a more powerful flash, than the builtin flash.  And the problem is that I am not really sure which would

be best.

But when you look at some of the flash units, you see things like, compatible with Type-A EOS, but I don't know what that means, and can't seem to find out what it means.

I was planning on trying to find a more up to date camera, but had not yet decided on what I would get.  Maybe a 60D or 7D, but probably look for a previous model from these.  Such as a 50D or a 6D.  So, I wanted to be sure that this flash unit would work on and be suitable for it also.  And I also want to stay with CF, as I already have a bunch of them and I noticed that Canon seems to be switching away from CF.

Regards

I guess I’m a little biased against the 600EX, only because I feel that Canon is really trying to box you into the Canon system at exorbitant prices given the cost of modern day radio triggers.  But there are plenty that own and love them.

I would go for a 430 or 580.  I own both, and I started with a 430.  Obviously the 580 is a bit stronger, has more flexibility, and a few more specialty options like strobe.  I don’t think any of them are game changers, but added up it’s certainly a more advanced flash.  The biggest difference for me is the controls.  I hate the controls on the 430.  I have to use the edge of my nail to push the center button to change power.  The 580 is much better.  That said, I didn’t miss the difference when I only owned a 430.

All the digital EOS cameras are Type-A and compatible with eTTL.  However, Type-A II started at the 350D so you won’t be able to use that metering mode.  It’s an upgraded form of eTTL, and it’s a function of the camera.  All the mark II versions of the flash: 430exII and 580exII can do it, so if and when you upgrade you’ll be able to use the new mode.  I don’t know that you’ll really be able to tell the difference.

@isifvs wrote:
I was planning on trying to find a more up to date camera, but had not yet decided on what I would get.  Maybe a 60D or 7D, but probably look for a previous model from these.  Such as a 50D or a 6D.  So, I wanted to be sure that this flash unit would work on and be suitable for it also.  And I also want to stay with CF, as I already have a bunch of them and I noticed that Canon seems to be switching away from CF.

FYI: The 6D actually isn't an older version of the 7D, they're very different and the 6D is much newer.  But again, any of the main speedlight line (430, 580, 600) will be compatible with any of these 'modern' cameras.

I'm not sure they're fully phase out CF as it has a lot of supporters and professionals that have stacks of CF cards.  That said, SD has just about caught up in speed, it's smaller (some argue not an advantage), and much more universally used than CF.  I feel Canon made a bit of a statement putting only SD in the 6D.  Optimally they'd offer both for flexibility and backup, but seems that's not high on their adjenda.

I see there is a lot of room on the 6D to put a CF instead of SD. Canon should have given us 2 SD slots hehe. Regardless, I don't see the different in speed between SD and CF for my usage. It's like driving a Honda Civic and a Ferrari on a 25MPH speed limit road :).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Of course it is your money and Canon would love to sell you a 580EX II but on a original Rebel, it seems odd. But I believe it will work. I must say I have the 580EX II and a old Rebel but never put the two together. I love my 580 so I am sure you would too. The 270 EX or even the 90 EX may do what you want.

But now you say you may upgrade the camera too. So that puts a different "light", so to speak, on the subject.

Either the 7D or 6D, you need the 580 EX II, so get it. I am not a fan of the 6D as I see no reason for it but I suppose someone that doesn't want to pony up for a 5D Mk III, it has some merit. And it bests the 5D Mk II which is still available.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

IMHO, don't get a 50D or a 60D, go for the 7D or 6D.Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements