cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opto-electronic Design of Mirrorless Camera and Saturating Exposures

Edward1064
Rising Star

Hi All,

For some time, I have not been able to answer a question that has to do with light exposure on these cameras. I understand that while operating, the sensor is always exposed to light through the lens. There would seem to be situations where the sensor would see saturating exposures (for examples, when the lens aperture is wide open when focusing, and when the camera is pointed before the shutter is touched). How is this handled?

Does someone have a good reference on this? I’d love to hear a good lecture by a Canon engineer.

Ed

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This forum is a social media platform. It is not Canon Sales or Support. If you want a response from a Canon Engineer, then you should contact Canon directly. 

As for your concerns regarding the sensors being constantly exposed to light goes, I think it is a non-issue.  Smart phones seem to have no problem with their sensors being exposed to light. So it’s probably not an issue with MILC bodies. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The point is, there is no way to contact a Canon engineer, unless one happens to see my post,  so I thought I’d ask the Canon Community. Someone here might be able to shed some light on the answer to my question.

And, of course the issue has a solution. Otherwise we wouldn’t have high performance mirrorless cameras! Some of us, perhaps engineering-oriented, are amazed and actually wish to know how things actually work. Buy if you only care that you have a high-performance “box” in your hands, that is fine. I have no judgment on that.

Ed

Some of us, perhaps engineering-oriented, are amazed and actually wish to know how things actually work. “

I have a masters degree in electrical engineering.  Have a nice day. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Perhaps you can answer my question then.😀

Please, let’s don’t go diploma-wagging here. That’s a grade school taunt, and one you are not likely to win.

What we're not going to do is start speaking down to our Illuminaries. They've earned respect in this community.

Our mirrorless cameras are literally in space. They're fine walking around. You can see all of the data you'd like here: https://en.canon-elec.co.jp/news-category/space/

And even on our dedicated CMOS site where there are whitepapers published on our technology: https://canon-cmos-sensors.com/ 

Do you work at Canon? Is it possible to chat with one of the Canon camera engineers? 

Thank you, John, I will explore these references.

I've been a Canon employee for over 15 years. 

Engineers do not interact with users.

The good news is that you can reach out to support, and if they don't know precisely what you're asking, they can reach out to the engineering group to get an answer, unless the information is proprietary and not published.

Our support team is available Monday through Friday at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

Announcements