cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Mirrorless unresponsive

SentimentalSoul
Apprentice

When switching lenses, The cover for the mirror remained open and now the camera is unresponsive. Last time this happened I sent it in to Canon and paid $600 for it to be fixed and they sent it back with no reason as to why it happened. Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Glad you got it resolved.

Hopefully a situation you can avoid in the future!

Please mark the solution post as resolved to close this thread abd in case others are seeing a similar issue they can find this.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Sorry to learn of your issue.   There are a lot of details about the situation at the time.
Was the camera turned on when you left the lens off and the mirror uncovered?  With the R5, normally the sensor is covered by the shutter at the time but if you were in shooting mode that might cause the sensor to be open to the environment.
Was the camera pointing upwards with the open lens mount to the sky?
What were the conditions at the time? Was there rain, dust, etc.?
Was there a very bright sun at which the sensor was pointing?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I turn off the camera before I open it by removing the lens but I have learned that it takes longer than I think and I think I did it too fast. It was not pointed up at the sun. Now when the cover is off of it, the mirror is exposed And it is unresponsive. Need to get the slide back across so it responds. 

Hi!

If  you sent your camera to Canon USA for work, you should have received paperwork with your camera that states exactly what our techs did to your camera. There is usually a copy of this in the box, along with an emailed copy for your records. 

There was nothing in the box no email no nothing just build our credit card for the fix. We would really like to know what they did. If I could give you a work order number could it be looked up?

I can certainly try. You should also be able to see the info within your My Canon Account at https://canon.us/account 

Did you send the camera to Canon support.  Was it in the USA (this is an international site).
If you are, the call 800-OK-Canon and talk to the tech people, quoting the work order number. Get them to email you the details of the job and see if there is a work-around that  you can apply for yourself

cheers, TREVOR

If the camera was not off when the lens was removed this could have caused a short as the lens pins moved across those of the camera mount. Alternatively, you may have cut the power to the camera before the shutter could come up to protect the sensor and it simply needs to be able to complete that cycle.  I would suggest removing the battery cards and lens - put the body cap and the lens caps back on as required, and let the camera sit for a few hours - in the meantime fully charge the battery, then reinstall items you removed.  See if that helps.

Next: go to the menu and change the settings for the shutter from the default to leave the shutter open.  Turn the camera off and then on and then return to the menu to reset the shutter to the default - i.e. shutter closed on shutdown.

Tronhard_0-1724006808612.png

If you have had this issue fixed before, I would recommend you find the documentation and contact Canon Service to get the details of what has happened, and what they did to resolve it.

Definitely, you need to be careful in altering the physical configuration of the camera.  Such things as pulling out a card while it shows a red light can corrupt your cards and cause other issues.

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks for everyone’s help. We were able to remove memory cards, lenses batteries and let it sit and when we fired it it back up it did reset and allowed the shutter to close. It seems like there is like a 1 to 2 second delay after you power off the camera before you can open the lens without incident. Thank you!!!

Glad you got it resolved.

Hopefully a situation you can avoid in the future!

Please mark the solution post as resolved to close this thread abd in case others are seeing a similar issue they can find this.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements