cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New M50 owner- memory disappeared! Help?

bigbrother
Enthusiast

Hey all! Just got my new M50 and everything was great today. The only thing is, I did some very light playing around, trying out the different modes, very minimal setting adjustment (things like preview timer), etc., and somehow my memory/shots available has seemingly permanently dropped by ~15%. I have no idea how or what I might have done.

(I'm using a 64 GB SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I card.)

When I started, I had ~6800 shots available at the default image setting, which as far as I can tell is Large, no RAW, 6000x3000 or whatever the res is.

I took a few different shots and 1 short movie, maybe 100 items in total, and when I looked again (after deleting the movie) I had 5800 available. I looked through all the settings and couldn't tell what I might have changed. I then tried everything- deleting all the shots, resetting the camera's settings, deep formatting the mem card, and no matter what I did, I still had 5800 shots.

How on Earth did I lose the capacity for 1000 shots?

The memory available on the card is the same as when I started- 854kB of 59.something GB.

I'm guessing it's something I set but I have no clue at this point.

Your help is much appreciated! Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Ray-uk
Whiz

You haven't lost anything. the number of available shots is a rough estimate because the amount of memory an image uses varies with image contents. Probably the camera has made a more realistic estimate.

Anyway,are you really likely to take more than 5800 shots before you download the contents of the memory card.

@bigbrother,

Ray-UK has givien excellent advice.  I agree with him regarding use.  I back up my photos after each day of shooting.  Having 2 sets is safer than one.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Actually the determining factor is ISO. Change it from 100 to the higher numbers and watch the number of shots go down.

That was it! (Was actually recommended on another forum and just tried it.)

For some reason Auto ISO increases the estimated memory size of shots.

@bigbrother wrote:

That was it! (Was actually recommended on another forum and just tried it.)

For some reason Auto ISO increases the estimated memory size of shots.

No, it doesn't.  It is just a happy coincidence.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Because it assumes that the highest value you have set is the worst case.

Waddizzle, I am not sure what your point was. ISO is the determining factor for the estimated image size. Go ahead and try yourself.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Because it assumes that the highest value you have set is the worst case.

Waddizzle, I am not sure what your point was. ISO is the determining factor for the estimated image size. Go ahead and try yourself.

???  ISO Auto didn't fix anything.

My point was simple.  Setting ISO to Auto was a coincidence. Yes, it raised the ISO value.  But, using ISO Auto could have just as easily lowered lowered the ISO value.  Setting ISO to Auto did not "fix" anything.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I bet it is a change of image size not auto ISO.. Jpg is going to be a smaller file v RAW for example.

Guys, do the experiment yourself. Watch the image count as you change the ISO, it clearly adjusts in an inverse relationship.

Announcements