cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Canon EOS R User with Windows 10 Issues

ZaneHolden
Apprentice

Hey all, so I have decided to add the Canon EOS R to my collection of cameras. Recently, I have also switched from Mac to PC. I made the decision to switch because of the type of work I do with my cameras (music videos, weddings). The problem I am running into with my Canon is importing/viewing photos. I just downloaded the 1.6 firmware update to the EOS R, thinking that may solve it.

But since formatting the card and updating the firmware, I see no resolve. I just took 3 sample photos (cRAW) and the import time took almost 20 minutes. I am not sure what the issue is, but it seems like Microsoft and Canon does not get along. The other cameras I shoot with (Sony a7 and a7sII), whether it be photos or video, this computer has no problem importing the files and viewing them. Is it a Canon issue or a Microsoft issue? Both the computer and camera are brand new, just weeks apart.

Any help, tips, or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

It might help to have some more specific information about the build of your new computer. Are you running Win10 that was an upgrade on a Win7 system or was this a "clean install" of Win10? Much of Canon's software does not support the Win10 "upgrade" from Win7.

I'd like to know what method he is using for import?

What steps are being performed?

*EDIT, Rodger just beat me to it.

I on the other hand like windows 10 (LoL) and have been a MS-DOS and MS user since the early 80's.  We used to boot from an 8in floppy, then 5.25...  windows and hardware has come a long way.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Are you connecting via USB from the camera or using a card reader?  I transfer files from my three 1DX family bodies using their high speed ethernet connection and about every fourth or fifth Win 10 update I run into a slowdown issue that I have to resolve.  It isn't a Canon issue but a Win 10 issue and you definitely don't even need to own a camera to have Win 10 problems-owning a machine running Win 10 in itself is sufficient 😞

If you are connecting via USB, try a different cable and a different USB port with your PC.   Use a free download like HWinfo which provides a huge array of machine information to see how the computer USB port is identifying your camera (i.e. one of the older slow standards or the modern fast standard that it supports).  See if the driver is up to date for the USB hub/controller that is part of your PC configuration.

When I first started using 1DX series cameras, I immediately starting using the Ethernet transfer port and at the start the "wizard" built into the camera did a wonderful job of immediately connecting and transferring files and that happiness lasted about 8 months until a windows update created issues.  After that, every time I connected the camera it would take several minutes to link and then would finally start transferring files and the work around for that was to set the camera ethernet to a fixed address. 

I have had one Win 10 update since buying my 1DX III and after that update during some transfers instead of going to its usual multiple file per second speed it would take 20 seconds or more per file to transfer.  Disconnecting, killing EOS utility via task manager, and starting over resolves the problem.  Until a well engineered and stable replacement for Win 10 is released, users will continue to face problems like what we are experiencing with our cameras.  I have used Microsoft operating systems since the MS-DOS days and have used pretty much every version of Windows from the "Topview" user interface they created for IBM on the road to creating Windows through the various NT flavors and the ultra-stable and reliable XP.  During the dot com boom I spent several years doing consulting work for a joint venture led by Microsoft and they were quite generous.  So I have long loyalty to Microsoft on multiple dimensions but if Win 10 were my first exposure to them as a customer it would have been a very short relationship.  Good luck figuring out the issue you are experiencing.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for the heads-up on HWinfo. I had a little strange USB behavior with Win10 just last night. Smiley Sad

Roger, curious if you tested transfering via USB since the 1DX III uses USB-C (3.1) which should at least be 5 Gbps, but could even be 10 Gbps.  I'm going to assume that the ethernet connection you can use is only gigabit ethernet?  If so, you should get much higher transfer via USB.

Of course there are other factors such as the write speed of the drives on your computer.   If they only say provide 125 MBps writes, then it wouldn't matter.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I am using gigabit ethernet and will probably stick with it because it is fast enough for my needs and doesn't involve dealing with the more fragile USB type connectors.  The RJ-45 standard is well suited to high insertion/removal duty cycle while the USB style connectors are not nearly as physically robust.

When I come in from shooting an event, I let the files transfer while I am checking/cleaning the lenses I used and putting them back in their storage cases.  Even when I shoot a lot of files, post event gear check/cleanup takes longer than it takes the files to transfer.  The original 1DX is slow enough via its standard ethernet port that if I were transferring a large card full of files I might consider pulling the card and using a card reader but it is a second or third body limiting its use and number of files.  The 1DX II via gigabit ethernet is fast enough that "previewing" files as they go by via EOS utility only gives you a very quick glance but I have watched them before since I don't use the review screen more than a couple of times during an event to make sure that there isn't an issue. With the 1DX III the images move by so quickly that you really can't see anything useful.  I suspect that card transfer rate and support hardware in the camera is the limit for maxium USB 3.1 transfer rate in practical terms. 

For video, it might be worth going to USB 3.1 but is suspect the transfer speed of the 1DX III is going to be far less than theoretical maximum.  I installed a PCI SSD in my HP Z820 as the "data" drive for images and video which is a noticeable improvement over running my previous SSD on its 6 Gbs SAS/SATA controller node.

But with COVID-19 I don't expect to be transferring large numbers of image files for quite a few months with pretty much every sport being canceled.  I just ordered an Xbox from B&H and a copy of FIFA 20 soccer from Amazon as a poor substitute for my daughter's canceled sophomore year soccer season where all she needed was 11 goals to set a new school career record 😞  A lot of U.S. high school kids are basically seeing the end of their Spring term as of last Friday and of course the impact of this pandemic is far worse in so many ways that many aren't close to accepting how radically it is going to change their life for many months.  Coming out of a risk management background I am better mentally prepared for this than many but it doesn't make it any more pleasant.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Judging from the transfer speed, he might using Wi-Fi.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
Judging from the transfer speed, he might using Wi-Fi.

Sounds like it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements