cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5d Mark 3 on the way

Captdanno
Enthusiast

Went from Rebel to 5d M3, big jump I know.. Camera coming today any firmware advice? I guess I need to see what version I have on camera first.

45 REPLIES 45

Skirball
Authority

Congrats on the new camera.

In general, I would always look to see what firmware my equipment is and check to see if there's an update that I want.  I didn't bother to update my 6D because I didn't speak whatever language the error was in.  But unlike the 6D, Canon actually cares about fixing/upgrading the 5D3.  The last firmware upgrade was significant, IMHO, allowing up to f/8 on the center point.  If the 5d3 isn't current, I would update it.

@Skirball wrote:

Congrats on the new camera.

In general, I would always look to see what firmware my equipment is and check to see if there's an update that I want.  I didn't bother to update my 6D because I didn't speak whatever language the error was in.  But unlike the 6D, Canon actually cares about fixing/upgrading the 5D3.  The last firmware upgrade was significant, IMHO, allowing up to f/8 on the center point.  If the 5d3 isn't current, I would update it.

The most recent firmware update (1.2.3) came out last October. I recently bought a new 5D3, and it was at that level when I received it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you for your reply, I must say I am a bit surprised on what I see on the forums regarding the firmware on this camera. I hope I have made the correct decision in my Canon purchase.

@Captdanno wrote:
Thank you for your reply, I must say I am a bit surprised on what I see on the forums regarding the firmware on this camera. I hope I have made the correct decision in my Canon purchase.

I don't know what they've been saying, but the 5D3 is a fine camera. I think you'll be impressed by its performance. A very large cohort of professional and semi-professional photographers use it intensively. If it weren't a good choice, they couldn't afford to stick with it.

Many of us have found that the 24-105mm f/4L is a nice, affordable general-purpose lens on a 5D3. You might want to consider it if you don't already have one.

Bob

Good to hear Bob, I paired the. 5d3 with the 24 105 f4 AND the 70 200 2.8 IS Ii, a little overlap but it's a great start I think

@Captdanno wrote:
Good to hear Bob, I paired the. 5d3 with the 24 105 f4 AND the 70 200 2.8 IS Ii, a little overlap but it's a great start I think

That's one helluva upgrade.  Congrats, it's a top notch kit and should last you a good long while.  Toss in a fast prime and a wide angle and you'll be set.  Maybe a couple flashes and some triggers.  And a good tripod and a head.  You'll probably want some filters, and maybe a macro lens...  heh, welcome to club  😉

Thanks, the list keeps growing, I like the idea of a fast prime may the 50mm or 85. Traded one hobby for another so diving in fast.

@Skirball wrote:

@Captdanno wrote:

That's one helluva upgrade.  Congrats, it's a top notch kit and should last you a good long while.  Toss in a fast prime and a wide angle and you'll be set.  Maybe a couple flashes and some triggers.  And a good tripod and a head.  You'll probably want some filters, and maybe a macro lens...  heh, welcome to club  😉

By "club", she means, of course, the Future Paupers of America.   Smiley Happy

Bob

Of course,.. took my first shots and have been pleased so far. Looking to see how well it does with sports photography, so far so good.
Announcements