cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Camera to Stay On Constantly - Shuts off after about 45m or so

TravisHowell
Apprentice

Hi all,

A pretty unique situation here. I'm trying to use my Canon T6 Rebel as a live streaming camera and overall I've got everything set up great, however the camera shuts off or live view shuts off after around 45m to an hour.

I have in the settings the "Auto Shut Off" set to Never. The current set up is using the USB, I use the EOS Utility application to activate Live View mode but as the subject states, it seems either this or the camera itself shuts off automatically still after some time. Any way to keep the camera on? Am I missing a settings somewhere?

11 REPLIES 11

Ray-uk
Whiz

It is not a video camera, it is not designed for live streaming over that length of time. It is likely that the camera is shutting down because the sensor is overheating or the battery is getting low.

Hey Ray!

Totally understand that - I do have a battery power supply so its actually always charged through the wall.

My guess is maybe the sensor.

Overall, my goal is to have a camera that has really good/shallow depth of field when the subject is close. I am using a F 2.8 lens on it now which works great. Is there a video camera equivelent to achieve the same look?

Great Video Camera that supports EF lenses

Its not inexpensive, but not prohibative either. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Great Video Camera that supports EF lenses

Its not inexpensive, but not prohibative either. 

The C100 with the Dual Pixel Sensor Upgrade is a great video camera.  You can use interchangeable EF lenses.  But, there are some XA and XF series professional camcorders that can do nearly as good of a job of capturing near broadcast quality video.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Am I missing a settings somewhere?"

Yes you are. Rebels are not "live streaming camera".  They are not designed for that and will never work well for that purpose.

They are stills cameras that shoot video. Not a video camera than can do stills.  As a matter of fact you can damage it with continued use in that manner.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

waq6123
Apprentice

Hi!

I wanted to do some Live Streaming with a Canon T6 Rebel too.

What Capture Card are you using? I would like to get the Elgato CamLink but can not find information on if it works with it.

Many thanks for your help!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Buy a web cam.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

axepilot
Contributor

Owner's manual says the camera can overheat with live view on for a long time and will shut itself down. It's working as advertised.

"...with live view on for a long time and will shut itself down."

It's just protecting itself.  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements