cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOOB new camera advice needed please.

eckythump1234
Apprentice

Hi everyone, been out of the Rebel world for a while, but looking to get back in.  

Would love some guidance please on which camera to get, here is what I'm trying to achieve.

. My 13 year old Son just started a digital photography/video editing class, so would like to get him something he can use

. I've been told by my Daughter's soccer coach that I need to start videoing her at every game, to send to college scouts .  I've seen other parents have this fancy looking camera that follows their player, in my case she's a goal keeper so mostly in one place so not sure if I need to buy something as specific as that one (it's green not sure what it is).

. Use my existing lenses (I own a Rebel XT)

. Buy something today for this weekend tournament (Best Buy probably)

For what I need would the Canon - EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Video Camera with 18-55mm Lens - Black work? ($499)

Only thing I'm wondering is do I need 4K video, more for being able to zoom into the soccer action rather than caring too much about 4K.  Only problem is, I find 4K video editing to be a pain even on my pretty fast computer.

I also see the Canon - EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR 4K Video Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS STM Lens for $699 but not available for me to go get today and do I need to spend the extra $200 for what I'm doing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

PS I'm in the US - Atlanta area if recommendations on other places to buy other than just Best Buy

4 REPLIES 4

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

FWIW, there are a number of retailers who sell the T7. Google and look. Sorry but I can't answer your original question as I'm new myself.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I would suggest bumping up to an "i" model: T7i or T8i.

But the SL3 should work OK, too.

I agree with kvb. I looked at a T6 but a camera shop said it was going to be replaced by the T7. Wasn't aware of the "i" series at the time or I might have bought one.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

4K video can definitely be a pain to edit (I have a very fast HP workstation with a pair of 6 core 3.7 Ghz Intel Xeon processors and twin Nvidia workstation graphics cards and video editing with 4K still seems sluggish at times).  Capturing in HD will work fine BUT you need to have a combination of lens focal length and distance from the keep so that you have a good view of the actions of the opponents and her defenders that is driving her decision making and actions.  Leaping saves make great highlights but key goalie skills include placement, great decision making on when to cover the ball or kick it away, how well she recovers from a blocked attempt in order to stop a followup shot on goal, etc.  Be really careful with video editing not to edit out the context which is what the coaches need to assess her skills, athleticism, and critical decision making.

The angle is critical for the same reason and you want to be positioned far enough downfield to provide a good view of the action leading up to your daughter's reactions and that makes focal length important because getting the proper angle to capture the relevant lead in to action involving the keep means being farther downfield than you would be if just trying to capture athleticism highlights. 

Most DSLR and mirrorless "still" cameras that double as video cameras will have fairly tight limits for sustained video shooting so most of them won't allow you to shoot a continuous 40 minute half without pause.  Even those that don't impose a strict time limit (i.e. 29 minutes like a lot of cameras that were designed to avoid the EU "video camera" tax) will have heat management issues when shooting sustained video clips and that is particularly true when shooting in the sun on a hot late spring afternoon.  Battery life is also a consideration as to how long it will shoot without changing batteries.

My daughter is likely to play college soccer also but she is going via an academic rather than athletic scholarship so it is a different situation however I still captured video.  I much prefer shooting stills and I have sidelines access via the team for doing this photography.  A couple of JV players volunteered to take care of video for my daughter so I set up my camcorder on a tripod so that I could continue to do the photography I prefer.  No matter what you use, you will want to use a tripod because the coaches don't want to watch the soccer version of the Blair Witch Project with the image constantly bouncing.

Bottom line, the camera equipment is important but be sure you capture and edit video from her potential college coaches' point of view and not just the ending highlights of an attack on goal.  The coaches can't truly assess her playing ability and decision making without seeing what she is seeing including how well she functions as a unit with her defensive line (in my view during the game a good keep "owns" her defensive players because she has an even better view than the coach of what is happening in the box and a great keep is also great at managing her defenders).

Good luck to your daughter!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements