cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW EOS-1Dx MKIII in unsealed box

KiwiFructis
Apprentice

Hello,

Note: I currently still use my 1Dx purchased in 2012!

After dreaming about this for a couple of years, I finally purchased a new EOS-1Dx MKIII from B&H this week. It was shipped out immediately and arrived the next day.

I was very disappointed to see that the box it comes in is not sealed and doesn't have any kind of tamper evidence material. The box is a little scuffed and has a slightly crushed corner. It also has a green "QC Assured" sticker on the box. 

I am concerned whether I have received a used, returned or previously sent out body.

I contacted b&h and they said cameras don't come in sealed boxes. They said the serial number doesn't show as being sent out before, though they didn't ask or check the serial number with me. However, how can I be sure of this? Consequently, I don't feel at all motivated to even take the camera out the box.

I contacted CPS and asked if they can tell me when it was made via the serial number and they said no .

Could anyone offer any advice?

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

As Waddizzle stated, this is how brand new cameras come.  Your detailed description sounds identical to how my last 3 body's arrived.

I seriously don't think you have anything to worry about. B&H is reputable, and is a Canon authorized dealer.  My R5 C had a small crease in the lid of its box. Some 17 months later. I'm still in love with my camera.  Maybe they had 30 of them stacked on top of mine.  It's A-OK👍

To my knowledge, canon products cannot be registered twice.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. You can transfer a CarePak once during its term, but this requires assistance from Canon support.

I think you need to take your camera out of the box. Register it, and buy a CarePak if not already done...  Charge up the battery, slap your favorite lens on it, then go out and enjoy it.  There's no better feeling than new camera day. Enjoy your camera. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

B&H is correct.  The unsealed box is normal.  Canon does not seal the boxes.  However, all of the contents should have been well sealed within plastic.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

KiwiFructis
Apprentice

The camera body itself is in a soft white bag, which is inside bubble wrap, which is inside a cardboard box-type structure (no tamper-evident seal though)

The camera strap is in a plastic bag next to it. (a bit of clear tape seals the bag)

Then there is a cardboard "shelf". Under that is the following:

1) the battery charger with the 2x cover lids taped on in a bubble wrap bag (not sealed though)

2) the batter charger cable in a little ziploc-type bag (not sealed though)

3) 1x battery in a little bubble wrap bag (not sealed though)

4) 1x eyecup in a little plastic bag (not sealed though)

5) 1x cable AND a cable protector inside a plastic ziploc-type bag (not sealed though)

All the contents are there but nothing really has any type of "thing" on it to show it has never been used or opened/touched before.

Maybe someone could clarify if that is how they received their EOS-1Dx MkIII camera? 

Out of interest, why would the box not be tamper-evidence sealed considering the camera is $6499?

Thank you in advance for any comments. 

normadel
Authority
Authority

"They said the serial number doesn't show as being sent out before, though they didn't ask or check the serial number with me. However, how can I be sure of this? Consequently, I don't feel at all motivated to even take the camera out the box."

The serial number is likely  on the outside of the box. Did you look?

This is from a a Digital Photography Review forum.....

".....every professional camera shop in America lets you try the lens on your own camera before you buy it.

Digital cameras are the same -- people want to see their camera before they buy it -- it actually PREVENTS more returns, because people have had a chance to see their camera and make sure everything is in the box. Canon places a small registration card on the top, which is supposed to be taken by the Canon dealer when they sell you the camera. As most of us know, they never take those out.

As far as I know, none of the digital camera makers seal their camera boxes, unless it is one of those cheapo plastic-sealed digitals that hangs on the rack rather than behind the counter.

At any dealer, if you return a camera, they are not allowed to resell that camera if it is Canon or Nikon - most likely the other major distributors too. They get sent back to the distributor and the camera store gets replacement stock. Some stores even charge you the privilege of a "restocking fee" for goods that they send back to the distributor (its one of the major electronic store scams that is often exposed on those tv "Eyewitness Scam" reports). Are there unscrupulous dealers that might just restock and resell, sure. If anyone finds out, they won't be an authorized dealer for long."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

As Waddizzle stated, this is how brand new cameras come.  Your detailed description sounds identical to how my last 3 body's arrived.

I seriously don't think you have anything to worry about. B&H is reputable, and is a Canon authorized dealer.  My R5 C had a small crease in the lid of its box. Some 17 months later. I'm still in love with my camera.  Maybe they had 30 of them stacked on top of mine.  It's A-OK👍

To my knowledge, canon products cannot be registered twice.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. You can transfer a CarePak once during its term, but this requires assistance from Canon support.

I think you need to take your camera out of the box. Register it, and buy a CarePak if not already done...  Charge up the battery, slap your favorite lens on it, then go out and enjoy it.  There's no better feeling than new camera day. Enjoy your camera. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

KiwiFructis
Apprentice

Thank you everyone for your replies. 

Announcements