cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My T5 (1200D) Doesn't show Lens firmware?

DeerCreekPhoto
Apprentice

i have updated it's own firmware just fine, but i need to update my 40mm pancake lens and see if that fixes the issue with the lens, only problem is my t5 won't show any way to see lens firmware, on the said lens firmware page it says it can be applied to the lens through the camera as long as the camera is newer than the 5D mark III, it is by 2 years... 

any ideas? 

also just in case anyone here might know, my lens error is the manual focus won't work at all, auto works fine though...

any help would be greatly welcomed!

~Zach

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Rebels have no knowledge of lens firmware.

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I no longer have a Rebel but I don't think they are capable of doing what you want. The Txi series might but I doubt the Tx series can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@DeerCreekPhoto wrote:

none, whenever i click the firmware it just says it needs a card with firmware data on it, so i put the lens firmware on but it still says the same thing, so i put the camera firmware on too, then i get the highlight screen and it just shows the camera as a choice.....

That is the correct behavior.  The Rebel T5 cannot update lens firmware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The first cameras to have a lens firmware update menu were the EOS 1Dx, 5D Mk III and T4i/650D. They were all introduced in early 2012, and all use the Digic 5 processor.

I wonder if the T5's lack of a lens firmware update menu is because, even though it was released in 2014, it uses the older Digic 4 firmware which dates back to 2008. The newer T6 and T7 also continue to use the older 2008 Digic 4 processor.

All the other cameras which have the lens firmware update menu were made after 2012 and all use the newer Digic 5, Digic 6, Digic 7 etc. processors. 

Mike Sowsun

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Rebels have no knowledge of lens firmware.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I no longer have a Rebel but I don't think they are capable of doing what you want. The Txi series might but I doubt the Tx series can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Some Rebel cameras DO have lens firmware update capability.  The T5 may not have lens firmware update capability but the T5i definitely does. 

Starting at 4:32 here is a video that clearly shows that the T5i has lens firmware update capabilty: https://youtu.be/I6G1QRtFN0Y?t=222

Mike Sowsun

Weird, my T6S doesn't, or at least it is not mentioned in the manual

What lenses are you using with the T6S? Only lenses designed since about 2012 have the option for firmware updates. The option for lens firmware won't show up with an older lens.

Mike Sowsun

@kvbarkley wrote:

Weird, my T6S doesn't, or at least it is not mentioned in the manual

When camera firmware is showing in the yellow tool menu press Set.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Wow, learn something every day. Thanks!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@DeerCreekPhoto wrote:

i have updated it's own firmware just fine, but i need to update my 40mm pancake lens and see if that fixes the issue with the lens, only problem is my t5 won't show any way to see lens firmware, on the said lens firmware page it says it can be applied to the lens through the camera as long as the camera is newer than the 5D mark III, it is by 2 years... 

any ideas? 

also just in case anyone here might know, my lens error is the manual focus won't work at all, auto works fine though...

any help would be greatly welcomed!

~Zach

When lens firmware is highlighted in the yellow tool menu press Set and see what happens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

none, whenever i click the firmware it just says it needs a card with firmware data on it, so i put the lens firmware on but it still says the same thing, so i put the camera firmware on too, then i get the highlight screen and it just shows the camera as a choice.....

Announcements