cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring canon's R5 image in an external monitor. Having issues when applying LUTs.

AntSam
Contributor

Hello everyone. 

I am having a lot of problems getting a correct "rec 709"  video in an external monitor. When the  R5 is in Clog 3, cinema gamut. 

I need a somewhat proper rec 709 conversion for a clients to see form time to time. 

When the camera does not use the Log feature and is recording in Rec 709, there is no problem the image is normal and pleasant to see. 

But when in log, the contrast is not correct and it is over saturated. I have tried at least 2 monitors that are working well (tested on another camera, a EVA-1). Both are over saturated and over contrasted.  

The only "fix" I have found so far is to go to the characteristics part of the log menu and reduce the saturation, I am then able to see the image properly, but I am desaturating the image I am recording in the card. 

Have anyone had this problem? I haven't found any information online. 

What could be the cause? Any ideas?

Thank you for your attention, 

hope someone can help me on this. 

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There is not a way for you to apply color grading or a LUT in camera on the R5 to preview footage shot in CLOG3.

Try this.  Under CLOG Settings > Menu > Enable View Assist.  This will not affect recording to internal media or external HDMI out.  

shadowsports_0-1688308964644.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your answer. 

I want to use lut on and external monitor not inside the camera. 

Its for the client to see, but the canon clog luts over saturare and contrast the image. This does not happens with other cameras.

I was curious why...

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Did View Assist help during review?  

If you record in CLOG3 the color grading is done in post.  I'll look into proxy recording, but I'm not sure you can do it with an external monitor.  I think I can on the R5 C, but a not sure about the R5.  

Is recording in CLOG3 absolutely necessary?  Is it possible you could get away with another format?  One that might have the color accuracy you are looking for?

I'm afraid I don't have experience with other manufacturer devices, so I can't comment on their operation.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello Shadowsports, Thank you for your attention to this matter.

I'm not trying to record proxies. I am trying to have a Image so crew and clients can check the monitor and see a pleasing image (not over saturated or contrasted).

Since the R5 only outputs the image in Clog or Clog3, so the conversion to Rec709 has to be done in the monitor.

I have tried 2 monitors. The Atomos shinobi and the Black magic video assist. I tested this monitors in with the Panasonic Eva-1 Vlog signal and they convert just fine in the monitors.

But the R5 does not. So mostly I am curious about why does this happen. I think there must be some change to the log signal before the output that makes the canon official luts to not work in the monitor.

Does anyone else has the same isssue?

or is using a monitor that does not have this issue?

Thank you for your attention. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ah right, the R5 only does Clog or Clog3.  Wishful thinking on my part that it got some additional formats.  I did more research. The behavior is the same on the R5 and R6 when recording to an external monitor via HDMI.  Based on what I found, the issue does not appear when recording to internal media.  I didn't see anything talking about it being fixable.  Canon might be able to address this in a firmware update.  Looking to see if this happens on the R7 also.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you again for your reply.

Now that you are saying that I found some videos of people saying you should record the log externally. Ill have to check them, maybe there is a relation. 

Would love to hear a reaponse of what is happening from a canon technician, just to calm my curiosity.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You'll have to engage directly with support if you want a reply from Canon.  The forums are moderated, but are not monitored by support personnel.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the info. 

Hello there!

I'm having the same issue here, did you find a solution yet?

Announcements