cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirrorless vs the rest

jabberwoki
Apprentice

As sombody thats been out of the camera scene for a while.

As to my prevoius post i was considering the eos 90d choise now discovering mirrorless..

Whats the concences on versions like the m6 mkii?

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@jabberwoki wrote:

As sombody thats been out of the camera scene for a while.

As to my prevoius post i was considering the eos 90d choise now discovering mirrorless..

Whats the concences on versions like the m6 mkii?

A lot depends on several factors:

1.  Your budget

2.  what investment you have in legacy DSLRs

3.  How serious are you about engaging in photography.

It is clear that new developments will be within the mirrorless area.  So, depending upon your intentions it might be worthwhile going in either direction, again depending upon your budget.

If you are not intending to invest heavily in equipment or do so in the future, then there are some serious deals to be had by buying into the vast range and inventory of DSLR gear.  These cameras still perform as well as they ever did and many will go on the market at reduced prices as current enthusiasts update to mirrorless.  If you get EF lenses you can still use them in the future if you eventually go to mirrorless.   I have both mirrorless and DSLRs and they all have their merits - I certainly would not rule them out.

On the other hand, if you intend to make this a longer-term investment, then going mirrorless has some merit.  The technology is still developing fast, but again some bargains are to be had - for the Canon EOS RP for example, which is at least as good as the EOS 6DII.  You can use any of Canon's Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (MILCs) with EF lenses via the range of EF-RF adaptors.

I would generally avoid the EOS R, Canon's first (rather tepid) attemt at a Full-Frame MILC and it was also expensive.  The RP has been well received and there are bargains to be hand.  The R3, R5 and R6 are Canon's newer full-frame MILCs and they are a serious step up on technology - but they will also cost significantly more.  The R3 is the newest and most expensive, being designed for sports and wildlife pro's and prosumers.  The R5 is a high MP camera and priced as such, the R6 is lower MP, but excellent for general purposes and arguably has better low-light performance than the R5.  All of these cameras have leading edge focus and tracking capability and serious video capabilities, plus In-body Image Stabilization (IBIS).

The RP does not have IBIS, nor does it have the animal and human eye detect and tracking of the others, but for its price point seems to be a well-respected camera.

You need to do some research as to what features you NEED for your purposes.  Research DSLRs and MILCs and establish what units fit within your budget and with the features you want.  Remember, that the lenses have a profound effect on the quality of the images you get and the cost of the system.  RF lenses are mostly high-end and expensive, but there are some good, releatively cheap units, such as the 24-240 all-in-one lens, plus some cheap lesser zooms and primes.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Wow great info there thanks Trevor.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements