cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual focus on AFS setting not working on my R6ii (ok on the 750d)

Steve_mt
Apprentice

I have a Canon 750D equipped with a EFS 18-135mm [edited] lens (and sigma macro) and now I updated to a Canon R6 Mkii using this EFS lens through an adapter and also bought a Canon Macro R100 mm. In the 750D, when the setting on the lens is auto focus (AFS), I could press halfway the shutter and adjust/fine tune the focus with the ring. This was useful to me. If I remember I could even employ the digital magnification

In the R6ii, this function is not working at all, with either lenses (EFS and Macro). When shutter is half down, the ring has no effect. (It works only when manual focus is selected). I hope that this can be resolved by some setting in the camera. I shoot in M mode.

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Manual Focus Override has to be enabled in the camera by default its disabled on the EOS R cameras. On DSLRs it was enabled by default. I also think you mean "One Shot" Canon has never had a mode called "AFS" that is a Nikon and Sony term. It should be set to One Shot enabled. This setting has been around since 1987. Canon has had focus by wire lenses since the beginning of the EOS system. The first of such lenses was the EF 300mm F/2.8L USM lens released in 1987. All early Ring Type USM lenses provided Manual Focus Override electrically instead of mechanically like newer Ring Type USM lenses. Also note Manual Focus Override doesn't work when the camera is set to Servo AF or AI Focus. This is because you would be fighting against the camera's AF system. The restriction has been in place since 1987 and there is no way around this restriction.

AF-01_0044.jpg

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

View solution in original post

Lens Electronic MF and Electronic Full Time MF have to be enabled. Along with the camera seto to One Shot AF. If it's set to Servo AF or AI Focus the focus ring is ignored.

-Demetrius

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum!

I need some clarification on your description of the issues you are experiencing. I am uncertain if you have typos or spelling errors. 

I need the full model number of your lenses.  Canon released multiple versions of many lenses, which can behave differently from one version to the next.

Are you using EF-S 18-135mm?  If so, what is  the full model number on the front of the lens?  Thanks.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for replying Wad, and sorry for the typos.

As you figured out, it is Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM

When I write AFS I had in mind  AutoFocusSystem - but it is just AF (not afs). 

The Macro i bought a week ago: Canon Lens RF100mm F2.8. (What function has the outer ring ?) 

Hi Steve and welcome:

Do you realize that by attaching any EF-S lens, which are specifically designed for crop-sensor cameras like your 750D on your R6II, that you are drastically reducing the resolution of your sensor?   

When an EF-S lens is attached to a FF Mirrorless camera, like your R6II, it automatically goes into crop-sensor mode, and by doing so reducing the MP value of the R6II from 24MP to 9.3MP.  That cannot be altered. 

Tronhard_0-1728923309331.png
Ref P1051 of the Advanced User Guide.

By default, the control ring has no function, you need to select one of those from the many offered via the settings in the wrench menu, customize controls. I would expect that you would have got a small manual with the RF 100mm macro lens and that will tell you what functions can be assigned to the outer ring, otherwise check out your camera Advanced User Guide ( P978) - for a list(because there several) of what the outer ring can do.  

If you don't have a copy of the Advanced User Guide, you need to download it, it has far more detail in it than is practical for us to provide. Here is a link to the PDF download page:  c012.pdf (start.canon).  Note that the guide may be updated with certain firmware upgrades, but that is usually identified in the Firmware description page.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Dear Trevor,

Thanks for your message. That was the first problem I had when I realised my images are a mere 9.3Mp so I am aware about that. I may buy a dedicated RF 135mm for the R6, but they are pricey (2700 Euro)!!! 

I will revert to the manual for the outer ring. I will download a softcopy now too. But is this only me that the focus ring does not do anything (in AF mode) when shutter is half pressed? I thought that's a standard function. It helps on small closeup objecys with far background. Once I adjust the focus on the nearby subjects manually, then the second time the AF locks on it precisely. I am not saying the focus rings does not work at all... on manual focus it does work!!  

Have you looked into the RF 24-240mm F/4-6.3 IS USM lens as another option its a great optic. My colleague @Tronhard has this lens and has reviews of it posted in the forum. A prime lens is more limiting than a zoom lens. It covers the entire focal length and more compared to the EF-S 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. Its also a Full Frame lens allowing you to use the entire sensor instead of just the APS-C image circle.

-Demetrius

Manual Focus Override has to be enabled in the camera by default its disabled on the EOS R cameras. On DSLRs it was enabled by default. I also think you mean "One Shot" Canon has never had a mode called "AFS" that is a Nikon and Sony term. It should be set to One Shot enabled. This setting has been around since 1987. Canon has had focus by wire lenses since the beginning of the EOS system. The first of such lenses was the EF 300mm F/2.8L USM lens released in 1987. All early Ring Type USM lenses provided Manual Focus Override electrically instead of mechanically like newer Ring Type USM lenses. Also note Manual Focus Override doesn't work when the camera is set to Servo AF or AI Focus. This is because you would be fighting against the camera's AF system. The restriction has been in place since 1987 and there is no way around this restriction.

AF-01_0044.jpg

-Demetrius

Steve_mt
Apprentice

Steve_mt_0-1728924978133.png

I think I am on the right track after scrutinising the manual 🙂 I am still experimenting in this menu.

Lens Electronic MF and Electronic Full Time MF have to be enabled. Along with the camera seto to One Shot AF. If it's set to Servo AF or AI Focus the focus ring is ignored.

-Demetrius

Steve_mt
Apprentice

Thank you everyone. Yes, i managed now through that menu [AF]. It is working as I intended / wished. I am experimenting a bit more as there are dozens of options and settings in the menu. Special thanks to Deebatman (sorry I posted my screenshot after yr solution because I did not refresh the page and did not see yr messages). 

The outer ring seems to be customisable (I had success in P mode which sets the EV setting) but it does nothing at the moment in the M. Coool!!! 

Announcements