cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual focus on AFS setting not working on my R6ii (ok on the 750d)

Steve_mt
Apprentice

I have a Canon 750D equipped with a EFS 18-135mm [edited] lens (and sigma macro) and now I updated to a Canon R6 Mkii using this EFS lens through an adapter and also bought a Canon Macro R100 mm. In the 750D, when the setting on the lens is auto focus (AFS), I could press halfway the shutter and adjust/fine tune the focus with the ring. This was useful to me. If I remember I could even employ the digital magnification

In the R6ii, this function is not working at all, with either lenses (EFS and Macro). When shutter is half down, the ring has no effect. (It works only when manual focus is selected). I hope that this can be resolved by some setting in the camera. I shoot in M mode.

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Manual Focus Override has to be enabled in the camera by default its disabled on the EOS R cameras. On DSLRs it was enabled by default. I also think you mean "One Shot" Canon has never had a mode called "AFS" that is a Nikon and Sony term. It should be set to One Shot enabled. This setting has been around since 1987. Canon has had focus by wire lenses since the beginning of the EOS system. The first of such lenses was the EF 300mm F/2.8L USM lens released in 1987. All early Ring Type USM lenses provided Manual Focus Override electrically instead of mechanically like newer Ring Type USM lenses. Also note Manual Focus Override doesn't work when the camera is set to Servo AF or AI Focus. This is because you would be fighting against the camera's AF system. The restriction has been in place since 1987 and there is no way around this restriction.

AF-01_0044.jpg

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

View solution in original post

Lens Electronic MF and Electronic Full Time MF have to be enabled. Along with the camera seto to One Shot AF. If it's set to Servo AF or AI Focus the focus ring is ignored.

-Demetrius

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

You set up the control ring on the lens for Exposure Compensation which isn't available in Manual Mode. Unless you have ISO set to Auto. That's why its not working in Manual Mode.

-Demetrius

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I would agree with my colleague Demetrius that if you want to replace your EF-18-135 IS STM with an RF full-frame optic (which is would strongly encourage since you paid for a 24MP FF sensor)  then the RF 24-240 is an excellent option.   It punches way above its price point.

The are sometimes available from the Canon USA Refurb store.  These lenses might be overstock but new, new but open box, show or demo units, but 'good as new' with a Canon warranty and a discount.  If they are out of stock you can request to be notified when they are in. 
Shop Canon Refurbished RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Video for someone who buys refurb gear: Worth it to buy refurbished? Canon Lenses (youtube.com)

Here is a link to some of the images posted in our Gallery tab: Search - Canon Community

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements