cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro lens for the SL1

amatula
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have been using Canon Rebel SL1 with the standard 18-55 IS lens.

I think I have found my photograhly niche: close-up flower photography.  Doing close-ups has really helped me (newbie DSLR photographer) start to understand how to use light and the background effectively and powerfully to create an appealing photograph.

I get close using the standard lens using manual focus.  But I am thinking it might be nice to use a macro.

Looking at Canon's macro lens, they all seem so heavy. 😞

Can anyone recommend a macro lens (it is fine if it is not a Canon but compatible with the Canon) for the SL1, preferrably light weight with image stabilization?

I am also open to any other suggestions for growing in this area (I will continue to use the standard lens for this too).

Thank you and all the best!

Annie

PS: attached image is unmodified -- flower.jpg

39 REPLIES 39

Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro.

Good choice.  Another recommended piece of gear would be a quality tripod, which will enable you to gather more light by taking longer exposres.  The secret to sharp photos is low ISO and lots of light.  Here are some helpful link.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos101_cll.shtml

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/laura-morita-guide-to-amazing-photos.shtml

If you're having fun, then you're probably doing it right.

[EDIT]  When you use a tripod, Image Stabilization isn't needed.  Just use the camera's 2/10 second timer on the shutter release.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you!

This (and all the responses) are very helpful. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

May I ask: what is the "2/10 second timer?"  Are you referencing the self-timer? If you are I am inferring that you suggest this so I would not have to press shutter release and therefore, less likely camera shake will factor in.

Thank you!

Annie

@amatula wrote:

Thank you!

This (and all the responses) are very helpful. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

May I ask: what is the "2/10 second timer?"  Are you referencing the self-timer? If you are I am inferring that you suggest this so I would not have to press shutter release and therefore, less likely camera shake will factor in.

Thank you!

Annie

Bingo.  You've got it.  Sorry for the abbreviated  reply....but I knew you could figure it out.  Smiley Wink 

The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro is great lens. Not heavy. Also consider a macro rail. It gives you fine control over camera/subject distance when you are up close.

61zDEdKdBuL__SL1000_.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Annie,

Hi again!  Glad you like macro photography. It is a great hobby with huge rewards.

A few on my personal opinions;

All the best macro photos are done with a tripod.  Not to say you can't do well without but it helps so much.

The longer the focal length of the macro lens the better.  That is one reason I would avoid the Canon 60mm (although it is equivalent to a 100mm on a FF).

Canon, Tamron and Sigma all make macro's in the 100mm range and that is where I would like to see you be.

Lasty, you need a good post editor like Photoshop. You can buy Photoshop Elements not wanting the full blown PS.

99% of the grerat photos go through post and by far the most used and best is PS (or PSE).

Up until I found out and decided I didn't have the time to do macro, I used the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Lens.

It is absolutely a fantastic lens. It is one I cried about to see it go. But I sold mine a while ago.  It is also a fine medium tele for normal use.

It is heavy.  It is expensive.  And is is fantastic. I am not recommending it for you as it would be a real handful on a SL1.  Just remembering. Oh well...........

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Annie,

You can get some "macro" shots with just a normal lens. This is just a snapshot, no special care taken when shooting it but looks like a macro.

_DS31218-Edit.jpg

It was from my Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art lens and is enlarged by about 150% (in PS).  Pretty extreme but it can be done.  This is an exceptional lens and some (most) others may not fair as well.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

With the small body SL-1, I would stick with the EF-S 60mm macro lens. 

The other Canon EF macro lenses are heavier, especially the "L" series lenses.  I would not be inclined to use the heavier lenses on the plastic SL-1 camera body without mounting it on a tripod, using the Canon tripod foot. 

The lenses would weigh more than the camera, and would need to be supported.  The weight of an "L" lens could stress and strain the camera mount on the plastic camera body.  The more expensive cameras use bodies that are reinforced with exotic metals: like Aluminum Magnesium alloys, which are very strong, but relatively light for their strength.

Bob, and Biggs,

You 2 are so knowledgable!  How did u 2 know I was looking at a lens (vs those manif. filters)  Great minds think alike!  I didn't know the sl1 has a plastic body.  I got this model because I have small hands, and it had MOST of the features I wanted (for the money)  

I know you were both responding to Annie, but you answered my questions as well regarding a macro lens.

I have 2 (old) lenses (macro and telepphoto) from the old AE-1 that has a mount bigger than the sl1 mount.  I want to get a reversal ring to use the telephoto backwards as a macro.  I KNOW i will need adapter rings too.  Ok heres the question:

what size reversing ring do I need to fit the sl1, and should I just buy a whole set of the adapting rings and try on until one fits?

Heres my NEW question:  Am I going to need a special mount for this also for the tripod? (like a lens ring mount) The lens is quite big and heavy.  I saw a thing that allows you to slide the camera as a unit forward and back w. a dial to focus with a reversed lense.  Don't know what it's called.  Do I need to mount the lens or the camera to the tripod?  With that slider thing, how do I mount the thing to the tripod.  I don't know if I am even asking the question correctly, but I hope one of you experts can help me.  You two have so much more experience than I do.

As for using photoshop, I wish.  I have a chromebook right now that doesnt run google play, adobe or java. so photoshop is out.  I found PicMonkey which seems to be a bit less advanced, but one can buy ($35/yr) additional (advanced) effects.  Mind you, I have ONLY DONE 1 PHOTO there!  Expert?  NO WAY....but it's what I have available as SUMO and PIXLR seem complicated and time consuming.  Any other ideas on this would be appreciated.  I will be getting a real computer one of these days, but right now my money is going for this expensive hobby called photography!  lol (and time goes to gardening)

thanks boys,

your new friend from Oregon,

Liz  

Announcements